on 20 June 2011
This book provides a comprehensive overview of how you should think about approaching your dissertation, including suggested structure and useful tips on what to do (and what not to do!). I'm an MSc student on the final stage of the course where the scary bit is actually writing the dissertation and this has provided me with a guide, and confidence boost in what I am doing. As long as you dont rely solely on the book and mix in some commonsense, your initiative, and your marking criteria or student handbook I cant see how you could go wrong! This gave me an addition to my supervisor and answered a lot of the fiddly questions, leaving supervision time for the big stuff! A must buy for any MSc student, particularly those lacking that lil bit of self-confidence on your self-initiated independent research project. Good luck!
on 18 February 2012
If you have ever wondered what your supervisor meant by engaging with the literature, that your proposal lacked focus, that you haven't defined your objectives, or critically evaluated your data collection methods, then this is seriously the book for you. I have absolutely no doubt that I would have wasted lots of time and effort and got poor feedback and marks on my dissertation, had I not used this book. The examples in the appendices are excellent for structuring your own dissertation,and help with understanding the theory explained in the chapters. Like other reviewers, I cannot believe this book isn't on all dissertation reading lists. Simple - buy this book.
on 17 July 2011
I don't normally have the time to write reviews but this book is a must for anyone struggling with writing their dissertation. Like many other reveiwers I wish I had found it earlier and wonder why universities don't make all masters students aware from the outset that this book exists.

I haven't read it all yet but already it makes so much sense. It sets out the logical steps to take in a clear and informative manner and I can't recommend this book highly enough. Previously I spent time searching the internet looking for help only to realise that this was not the answer. Don't waste your time - just get this book instead! The guidance has allowed me to focus on what I really need to do to create a good dissertation and given me the confidence to realise that I am capable of it too!

on 9 February 2015
If you are thinking about studying for a Masters Degree this is a must have book. It provides useful hints and tips on formatting, layout and content that is ubiquitous so can be applied to any Masters level degree; I suspect the tips are equally applicable to first degrees and PHds. The book also provides a good academic foundation that can be built upon for the research methodology section of the dissertation. My mentor recommended this too me and I have to agree with his recommendation and suggest anyone trying to write a dissertation will make light of their work with this book.
on 11 July 2014
I can't remember who had recommended this book to me but someone did whilst I was doing my Counselling MSc in 2012. I think I would have been lost without this book.

It explains how the dissertation needs to be structured, how to keep it focused on its aims and objectives, and even how to get the most out of your relationship with your dissertation supervisor.

The book is set out in the order in which a dissertation should be, and so follows a very logical format. I told my fellow students about this book and those of us that bought it got really good marks.

Would definitely recommend :)
on 28 January 2013
This book was recommended to me during the dissertation workshop in my college. I bought the book, stuck to the steps, didn't go to anymore workshops and my dissertation scored among the top five in class! (the college I went to is among world's top 2%) This book helped me so much, you have no idea. Every time I was lost - the book knew what to do. Loved it and I'm giving it 5 stars. It honestly kept me from going insane during that difficult time.
on 6 November 2011
A must have for all M.Sc students! A well written, easy to read book which takes you through all of the relevant and essential steps in constructing and writing your dissertation. Best money I have spent in some time! Thanks Mr B! As one reviewer did mention, some of the material does state the obvious, BUT it certainly does focus one's thinking, and, having taught FE students, obviously not at masters level, it is scary their misuse of 'it's' and 'its'!! My second Masters degree, and there are lots that I have gained from this book. Only hope my Supervisor hasn't read it; will recommend it when I've finished!!!!!
on 29 August 2013
Another good book that gets to the point quickly and without fuss. Helps take the edge off concerns and potential anxiety about which direction or form ones dissertation should take.

The book appears written with respect to a certain faculty so some of the content may not help you effectively if you study some other subject, such as nursing studies etc; Even so, it contains enough information to help you through many of the stages of planning and writing the dissertation out.

Read it months before you actually begin approaching the dissertation, rather than leave it to the last minute. Even so, such is the straightforward (some may think, no nonsense) advice, I think you may be able to get away with finding it useful at the commencement of your dissertation if also used again and again through the course of it.

M.
on 22 August 2015
I would recommend this for anybody writing their dissertation especially for on-line masters. It gives you the structure to use and lots of advice.
Yes the Gods did smile on me and I now have a MSc.
on 8 October 2013
This book was highly recommended by a previous student. As I read through it I find it insightful and thought-provoking. The step by step approach is valuable and almost every area is covered. No Masters student should be without it.