on 25 July 2012
I was given this book by a well meaning person to help with my dissertation. Not being a book person I intially just ran around in circles getting stressed and feeling overwhelmed about my dissertation and didnt look at book. Finally, in desperation I flicked through the book. The first thing to say is: Its sectioned in SUCH A GREAT WAY that you dont waste time having to scan read, great ! Once I found titles that jumped out at me, I scan read but found before I knew it I was engrossed and already feeling clearer about the whole thing - you dont need to stare at the book for hours - this is great when your panicking against a deadline. The info was concise, no fancy words, clear concepts and instruction that are FOOL PROOF. Lastly, having qualified I am now a freelance reseacher - my first project I grabbed for this book to gudie me on writing my first ever paid report !!! It literally saved my skin as again I had been overwhelmed. It produced a successful and proffessional report and I go my fist pay check !! BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT !!! Its FABULOUS :-) Good luck
on 3 April 2009
If you can only justify buying one research book, then I recommend this one. It is a gem for anyone undertaking small-scale research. I am currently writing a dissertation and have found this to be the most accessible of my books on the methodology, etc. of research. The book is written in a very user-friendly style - which cannot be said of some of the other similar books I have bought. Fantastic for useful quotes and information to actually assist you when planning, undertaking and writing up the research project. Well worth every penny!
on 17 February 2013
I bought this for my postgraduate dissertation having read the reviews. However, I soon realised that it just wasn't enough: it didn't add anything to the books I have already. If I'd been approaching a research project for the first time then I'm sure I would have found this book a very useful summary. If you want something a little more in depth then I'd recommend John Biggan's 'Succeeding with your Master's Dissertation' (also from the Open UP Study Skills imprint) and Doing Postgraduate Research by Stephen Potter.
on 17 November 2010
Excellent introduction to research methodologies and methods. If you need a quick and accessible overview of most (if not all) social science methodologies, this is the book you need. It is really well set out and uses all the modern writing/publishing tricks to make reading easy: clear headings, lists, comparisons, bullet points, graphics, inserted quotations, chapter overviews, cross-referencing, FAQ, and checklists. (This is NOT a dry boring rambling academic text.) A good bibliography is also included so you know where to go next for more in-depth information too.
on 11 February 2012
Recommended. Presents the subject in a straightforward, no nonsense way. I found it very useful when putting together my Research Proposal for my Masters. Complements other texts very well.
on 24 March 2011
This book is excellent for any novice researcher like myself. I needed it for an assignment and I used this as one of my key reference books.
on 5 June 2009
This book is set out extremely well in an easy-to-read fashion. I wish I had bought this first before reading other material on research.
on 29 March 2013
Very useful book, very informative and assists me in my studies. This is a bible for anyone who wants to interpret the jargon that surrounds research applications and write anything to do with research. I would thoroughly recommend it.
on 27 August 2010
This book has been written in easy to understand terminology, perfect for students studying at all higher education levels.

Buy it now!! It's cheap at twice the price.
on 25 July 2013
Excellent guidance for completing a research project for my dissertation whilst studying a BSc (Hons) Degree in Occupational Therapy. Full of really useful hints & tips - through reading this book and applying the advice within my project I managed to achieve a 1st within my project. Worth a read as part of your project preparation - really easy to read and utilise. Recieved extremely quickly also - exceeded my expectation!

Worth every penny!