on 18 May 2009
During my MSc in Health Psychology I found this book excellent at explaining the important health psychology models and some interesting research in key areas of health. I have gone on to use it as a reference book in my PhD. I would recommend this to anyone intereted in health psychology and it is a must have for anyone doing a masters or an undergrad module on health psychology.
on 25 December 2002
An excellent introduction to Health Psychology, but I did find it a bit too theoretical and rather basic at times. There is also relatively little emphasis on personality and health, despite strong evidence for interactions between these. I expected to see coverage of the five factor model and health behaviours/outcomes, and more on heart disease and hostility. But good coverage and excellent set of references for further reading.
on 8 April 2010
This is a really simple book to read and well laid out. Each chapter begins with an overview and a list of bullet points of what areas are to be covered in that chapter.

Whether you are searching for specific information or have a general interest in Psychology and enjoy reading, I would recommend this book. I have not read this through yet, but what I have read has been interesting and informative....am looking forward to reading it through properly...!
on 29 November 2014
I have just completed an MSc in Health Psychology and found this book a big help for giving an overview of areas covered within the course. It is easy to read and provides suggestions for further reading
on 14 June 2011
This book is so accessible. It makes health psychology and related areas (such as clinical) interesting and engaging even if not used for studies. The concepts and theories are clear to understand, have current and useful research examples and are well evaluated. The book is laid out in an easy to read and logical format which makes it easy for anyone interested in this area at any level.

It is a definate must read for any psychology undergraduate in particular whether studying Health psychology or not as the areas are applicable to other academic ares and real life! Furthermore the way the theories are shown to be supported with research lead to further interesting and useful reading. Moreover, the framework it uses for critically evaluating concepts and theories can be applied beyond the scope of the topics outlined - which is very useful for any degree really!

Definitely recommended!
on 7 March 2001
as a student nurse, it was vital to myself that i found a book that tackeled the different elements of psychology within nursing. It can truely be said that this book offers depth and insight to various different issues helping to evaluate and support my studying
on 4 August 2011
This book is great for giving you an overview of all health psychology matters both from a theoretical and applied perspective.

The 'testing a theory' boxes provide a good starting point for reading and understanding published journal articles and the summary and end of chapter questions help ensure you have understodd the information correctly.

I purchased this book the summer before beginning an MSc in Health Psychology having been out of university for a few years. It helped freshen up my memory and provided me with the relevant perspectives and background knowledge for the MSc so that I felt confident when starting the course. Since then I have picked it up as a starting point for every assignment I have written.

Cannot rate highly enough. Any psychology student or anyone with an interest in health would find both the content and the layout easy to understand and accessible.
on 26 January 2010
This book was highly recommended by my course leader at university for any health, medical or psychology related modules/degrees. I can honestly say I would not have passed without this book!
All research is recent and up to date.
on 23 June 2011
Throughout my own psychology BSc (Hons) I found this book extremely useful. The well laid out and easy to read nature of the book means it is easy to dip into and find exactly what you need. The examples used were both relevant and fun, making the book an easier read than some. Whilst the topic is very detailed Ogden gives the necessary information in a clear format, often aided by diagrams. I will be teaching Psychology next year and will be sure to use the book whenever necessary.
on 3 February 2012
I purchased this book along with Jane's essential readings for my final year studying Psychology. I found it extremely useful in covering all the topics I needed for my Health Psychology module in terms of knowledge and research into each area. A good read,I would recommend this book as an essential to anyone wanting to learn further in Health Psychology!