on 9 January 2017
The volume is replete with my underlinings. Max Hastings is a supremely talented author. He deals admirably with grand strategy, conflict and the political dimension while not neglecting individual experiences. His judgement is nearly infallible. The 5 stars are fully merited!
on 5 January 2015
Essential reading, like many I knew about D day etc but often wondered why it took so long to finish the job. The western front almost seemed civilised compared with the Russian efforts, the brutal and horrendous way they fought shows the underlying ethos of Russia that even with shards of democracy appearing the crude nationalism and martyrdom ingrained into their culture explains a lot of the current situation.
on 28 May 2017
Outstanding book with so much interesting, and often horrific, material. At times it is difficult to follow but for sheer information value this is an excellent book. It's coverage on the Pomeranian area was of particular interest. It's a book that has so much in it that you'll need to read it many times to get all the information in perspective.
on 17 February 2013
Max Hastings' ability to research his subject is second to none. You are right there in the thick of it thinking (in my case) 'Thank goodness it wasn't my generation having to be there'. The sheer detail holds your fascination from page to page, no let-up. He never lets you down with his insight, documented evidence and his ability to see the overall picture.
on 20 July 2017
Every disappointed just a rehash of old stuff
on 2 August 2017
great
on 4 May 2017
Distressing but brilliantly written
on 24 July 2017
Nice book ,
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 11 April 2014
Max Hastings books on WW2 are essential reading for any serious historian in my view. This one didn't disappoint me.
on 23 January 2015
Having previously read Clive Ponting's account of the beginning of WWII and how we nearly came to lose it, I decided that it might be useful to take a look at the other end of WWII, the bit where we won it (or did we?)! Accordingly, as it was on offer, I downloaded Max Hasting's 'Armageddon: The Battle for Germany 1944-1945'. Now I know, from the title, that I shouldn't have expected this to be particularly cheery reading, but it plunged new depths for me. The story is cleverly told from the perspectives of each of the warring nations but the lurch from one atrocity to another is quite demoralising. The Russian advance was particularly grim - I never thought I would find myself feeling sympathetic toward the Nazi defenders, but I did in these chapters.