on 7 June 2007
Julia Cameron's increasing love affair with words becomes more and more evident as this book progresses. Unlike writing books that give you 'fool-proof' instructions on how to catapult your writing career to dizzying heights, this book gives you a thorough insight into how best you can utilise your own creativity and word-smithery. Inspiring - almost spiritual - this book left me with a warm glowing feeling with each and every turn of a page. Ms Cameron does not lecture, talk down to or patronise fellow writers. Instead, she takes them by the hand and leads them on an exciting and completely realistic journey, the end of which is all the more satisfying because it is achievable by everyone.

As a writer myself and former Creative Writing tutor, mentor and work-shop speaker, I recommend this book to all writers old and new. I have read many, many writing books in my lifetime, but this is by far the greatest ever.

I highly recommend it.

J P Henderson-Long
on 4 April 1999
What a fabulous book! Inspiring and beautifully written. As a former Journalist who has gotten away from writing, this book has me back on the writing path again. I feel I am back "home" again. Writing is where my heart and soul lie. Thanks to this book, I am journaling three pages each morning and loving it. I am doing as Julia urges, "Just get it down." I have found an aspect of "me" that was forgotten and neglected for years. While I have continued to read continually over the years, my writing took a back seat and so did a major part of my personality. Just last week, I ventured into the woods with a pen and a pad and sketched an outline for a self-help book that has been on my mind for years. During this morning's run, I felt so inspired by my re-awakened love for writing that I tore through the miles and returned home with a head full of neat writing ideas. This book reminded me what I am -- a writer! If you love writing, you must read this book.
on 27 August 2013
I absolutely love this book and the free and flowing way in which it is written!

Julia's gentle encouragement inspires your inner writer to leap from it's box and start creating - no matter what, when or where you write, just begin writing and let the creativity flow!

Although I was unsure about completing some of the activities at first, once I started doing them I felt so motivated to keep writing! This has definitely sparked my imagination and has fired me up to write in a free and unconstrained way! I just love it!
on 14 November 1998
"The Right to Write" is an essential tool for all writers, even, or perhaps especially, for those who do not yet realize they are writers.

Throughout this very readable book Ms. Cameron encourages us not only to write but to live the life of a writer. The fundamental concept of the work is quite simple: 'show up at the page'. Just the act of writing allows us to tap into our own creativity which will result in a charge of energy with which to write, sculpt, paint or merely live.

Those of us who put words to paper but are too humble to take on the mantle of Writer can find solice in this book. This is not a manual of writing, style or grammar. In fact, early in the book the author encourages us to 'write badly': to ignore the voice of our high school grammarians and to allow our words to flow to the page. There will be time later, she tells us, to bother with the mechanics. We will never get to that point unless we learn to start the journey and to live the life of a writer daily.

Strictly speaking, this may not even be a book about 'creativity'. "The Right to Write" teaches us about living a life conducive to writing and nurturing the artist in us all.

NOTE: As webmaster for the Artist's Way mail list I received an advance copy of the book from the editor. I strongly encourage all fans of Ms. Cameron, writers and anyone interested in living life more creatively to get this book! Dave Butler
on 20 November 1998
Those of us who put words to paper but are too humble to take on the mantle of Writer can find solace in this book. This is not a manual of writing, style or grammar. In fact, early in the book the author encourages us to 'write badly': to ignore the voice of our high school grammarians and to allow our words to flow to the page. There will be time later, she tells us, to bother with the mechanics. We will never get to that point unless we learn to start the journey and to live the life of a writer daily.
Strictly speaking, this may not even be a book about creativity or writing. "The Right to Write" teaches us about living a life conducive to writing and nurturing the artist in us all.
on 3 March 2008
I have always wanted to write and have always thought that writing was not for me. This book changed all that. I am now writing and writing and writing some more. I am not worried if I ever get published but just writing for writings sake and for the fun I have as I write.
It just feels (w)rite :-)

Go ahead and read it and then begin your own personal journey through writing.
on 7 June 2009
This is the one book that successfuly re-kindled my passion for writing. Julia Cameron's advice is simple, yet effective . . . writing is a gift and the writing life is self-empowered and self-empowering. In her words: "We should write because it's human nature to write."

The book is packed full of initiation tools that gently ease you into the world of writing. Before long you'll be amazed at how effortlessly one can navigate around the so-called writer's block and just allow yourself to be aware of, listen to and respect your own unique inner voice.

The book is like a journey to a familiar land that you once visitied when you were younger. It is inspiring, motivating and truly uplifting.

Overall a very good read but it's true value can only be realised by putting the suggestions into practice - have fun!
on 15 March 1999
For writers and would be writers, this is a wonderful book. Julia teaches you to be kind with yourself and patient. She also gives you some great tools to break down barriers and move past blocks and prevent them from happening again. Although I've never been a big fan of Morning Pages, this tool simply does not work for me or my life, I know the importance of just "showing up" to write. Thanks Julia, for another great book. Sometimes it helps us to know there are others out there just like ourselves.
on 29 August 2009
If you are looking for a step by step guide on how to write an article, a biography, a short story or a novel, this is not your book. If however you would like encouragement and inspiration 'The Right to Write' should be a constant companion. Written in a style that may make you curious enough to read it from cover to cover, it lends itself equally well for dipping into should you feel that your own motivation to write needs a boost. Here's to all budding and established writers!!!!!
on 15 March 1999
Thank God for Julia Cameron's book that frees us from all of the should's and should not's that we learned from composition class. I have enjoyed writing so much when I was so full of thoughts I just had to write them down, but I would go for months and months with ideas that would be stifled by all of the voices of english teachers in my head. Thank you for freeing that voice. I now look forward to writing a couple of times a day.