Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Paloma Faith Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 4 June 2017
Many years ago I read the Rats trilogy by this author and thoroughly enjoyed them. I subsequently read two or three other of James Herbert's books which I found boring and turned to other writers. This book was offered by Amazon and I decided to give it a try.

I was put off by the opening chapter but decided to press on. After reading the first 15%/20% I was sorely tempted to give up, but finally decided to continue, much as I disliked the all too frequent bracketted asides.

I did complete the book but, frankly, I felt it was more of a fairy story than the horror story which I had eagerly anticipated when I purchased the book. For me, the only disturbing part of the story was the author's comment at the close of the book, which I won't enlarge on. You should read it for yourself!!!

AnOn
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 July 2012
i have always been a fan of james herbert, but after struggling through his book 'moon' i wasnt feeling excited about picking up 'others'

however the feeling soon changed. the opening chapter was fantastic, and intriguing and pulled me straight into the book. although the opening chapter doesnt really continue in the same vein, i got stuck into the main story and characters and i sailed through the whole book in no time. the story of the main character and unlikely hero nicholas and his unknown fight to save his soul was brilliantly written. the story is mysterious enough to pull you in, and gives you a little more along the way to keep you hooked. but when the 'others' are introduced to the reader, the story and horror really settles into your heart and brain and the story hits full adreline right to the fantastic climax.

many herbert books are good and enjoyable, but usually by the time ive read one and started on the next i can barely remember much about the previous book ive read, which is fine because it entertains me for the duration. but this book has stuck with me for weeks now, and i believe it will worm its way into the hearts and minds of all fans of this genre.

whats more, at the time of writing this the kindle edition is only 99p. you cant buy anything for 99p as brilliant as this awesome piece of entertainment
on 10 June 2017
My husband bought it, he said this is a good book.
on 23 August 2017
strange ....as usual
on 21 June 2017
this, I think, is one of James Herbert's best books. It's poignant and uplifting at the same time. The hero, Nick Dismas, is a thought provoking character. A very good read.
on 27 March 2014
Another excellent story he was a brilliant writer and never failed to scare the hell out of me. A fantastic man.

Karrie
on 19 October 2014
ridiculous. What was Herbert thinking?
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 May 2012
I have been reading James Herbert for most of my adult life it seems, and it is always nice to find one of his books that I haven't already read. Every time I do, for some reason, I look at the blurb and think "mmmm I don't know if I am going to like this" and then every time, without fail, I find myself hooked within pages and this was no exception. I'm not going to go into the plot (you can read the blurb and countless other reviews for that), but I note that there is an element of shock and disgust in the reviews, people claiming James Herbert should be ashamed of himself because of the content of this book. Well, I would say he certainly has pushed the boundaries of horror here, and the themes in the book could certainly seem very distressing to some readers - but the parts of the book that might be considered beyond the pale are not graphic - its all alluded to and not shown, it is more concept than anything else I think.

It is a story told by one person, Nick Dismas the hero, and you really do get right into the heart of the story that way. It can feel claustrophobic at times, but this is horror and I think in a way it adds to the atmosphere. The characters are fantastic, and my only regret is that we didn't see enough of Ida, I really took to her and liked her!

One thing worth commenting on, it is a story written a few years ago, so it was quite funny in a way reading about how the characters were working without the internet, and having to indulge in good old fashioned sleuthing. Makes you realise just how far we have come in just a few years.

It is a long, well written and gripping read - but that is just the way I like it, so no complaints here on that score!
on 8 October 2003
Upon reading the synopsis and having read other Herbert books before, you would be forgiven for thinking this book is about a private investigator who is hired to solve a mystery and is pulled into a world of ghosts and spirits he can't control.
To an extent, part of this is true.
What however makes this book so different and so original, is the central character Nicholas Dismas; a man with such physical deformities, he resembles the elephant man. Quite a stark contrast to other "heros" who are 6ft tall, handsome and charming.
Whilst by it's own admission Others is a gripping thriller expertly written, it is society's intolerence and prejudice of Nicholas's character that will linger a long, long time after you have turned the last page of this book. Enthralling.
on 9 January 2006
After being rather disappointed by the last couple of James Herbert books I'd picked up it was with some trepidation that I started "The Others" hoping that I wouldn't be too disappointed. Fortunately I can report that I genuinely enjoyed the story and feel that although not perfect, this book can be ranked with his best output.
Nick Dismas is the disabled hunchback private investigator who is hired by glamorous widow Shelly Ripstone to find her son, who was taken from her at birth. The official story is that the baby died but Shelly, after consultation with grandmotherly medium Louise Broomfield, is convinced that her son never died and she wants Nick to track him down. It was the detective parts of the book that I enjoyed the story the most. Nick Dismas is a most interesting character and the sections of the book when he's either working with his other employees or on the trail of the missing person are then best. The developing romance between Nick and Constance whilst being slightly predictable and a little too ...... it is still rather sweet and enjoyable.
However the book does escape completely from criticism. I mentioned the last couple of books of him had been disappointing (Haunted and The Survivor - I don't read in order!) largely due to their brevity of character and story development, this time the book can be rightly accused of being a little too wordy and a little too repetitious. You could have easily cut out large chunks and not lost any of the plot or atmosphere of the book. When we get into the "horror" sections Mr Herbert cannot resist going into overload and peppering us with gory description after gory description. This only serves to reduce the thrill and shock value and is nothing other than boring. I also found the topping and tailing of the story with the supernatural heaven and hell redemption story pretty superfluous (and again far too long at the end) and didn't bring anything to the overall book.
All in all though I did enjoy this book and would definitely recommend it to all fans of thrillers, horror and even detective novels.