on 25 March 2003
Writing well is not an easy task! A lecturer recommended this book to me four years ago. Struggling to write my final year dissertation I bought it, hoping it would help. It is very useful. The book is user-friendly and can be read quickly; it is also divided into sections for quick reference with a grammar section at the back. It explains basic concepts such as 'how to write a good sentence', and highlights the common errors students make. It shows how a little editing can dramatically improve a student's work. It will help your writing immensely, I only regret I didn't buy it sooner!
0Comment| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 6 November 2017
Good quality and clean secondhand book. Happy with my purchase
on 3 June 2017
Very good book for students.
on 16 February 2009
This is an excellent book that guides you through the complexities of grammar, and helps you polish your writing skills.
on 25 March 2003
on 21 March 2004
I found this book particularly good; it is written in a very clear and succint way and highlights the everyday's mistakes that students (but not only) are falling foul.
Some people say that spelling and grammar are not the most important factors when writing academic papers, essays, dissertations, reports, projects and so forth....
Ok....tutors looks mainly for your understanding of the course material. But he/she won't be at all impress if you use the apostrophe incorrectly or if you repeatedly making gross grammar mistakes.
That is why I think that, as a foreign student studying in English, this book has been a great help in improving and polishing my writing skills.
Top marks!!
44 Comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 28 October 2010
When I initially scanned this book I thought it wasn't for me, its first chapter is about sentences, and I'm thinking 'too easy', but whoever knew that something so basic could be so interesting.

If you liked Eats, Shoots, and Leaves then you'll like this.
on 14 December 2012
My written English isn't great as I am dyslexic to naturally I have problems with language acquisition. However reading the a few pages made clear common mistakes I usually make while writing such as How sentences are constructed with a verb and subject, something some may often forget. I wish I had paid more attention in school but I need to improve my language skills for the sake of getting decent marks for my essay which clearly lack good grammar.
on 7 March 2010
The book is great in the sense of providing a basic hands-on review of english grammar, punctuation and structure. It uses specific texts from student essays and novels to exemplify certain key-points, and, once having read through the entire book, has a bullet-point summary at the back so that everything clicks back to mind. However, I found it to be boring in some areas and a little too longwinded to get to a certain point: a personal experience. Nevertheless, it did fill some of the knowledge gaps I was looking to fill. Overall a good little book to go through but definitely the best.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 April 2012
I first borrowed this book from my library but found it so helpful so decided to buy a copy myself for reference. I have a number of grammar books but this is really good for spelling, punctuation and other necessary things for when you need to write. Great must have book!