on 7 April 2016
A Bad Spell For the Worst Witch (Book 3) is probably the second strongest book in the series (the strongest in my opinion being The Worst Witch to the Rescue/Book 6).

Jill Murphy's strength as a children's author is keeping the story innocent enough for kids yet slipping in a little joke for the adults. As an adult it doesn't get boring to read it and fair enough I was reading this on a nostalgia trip (yes I am a childless millennial!) but there are aspects that I remember from my childhood; the drawings for example. There's a fantastic drawing by Jill Murphy (who illustrates the books, if you didn't know!) of Tabby, Mildred's cat.

So the book - what I love about this book is how diverse the story is. It isn't just a linear A to B story. It goes from A to B and then backtracks to Z after Mildred and Ethel have a fall out and are both banned from going to the Halloween display (because of their actions in the very first book, The Worst Witch). The writing is personal, relatable and comical - Miss Hardbroom being attacked by a flying bucket is hysterical!

Jill Murphy really manages to write fantastic children's stories, that are also accessible for adults, without them being patronising. Love it!
3 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 9 October 2014
The first four Worst Witch stories re-recorded with a new narrator, Gemma Arterton. This was bought as a replacement for the previous edition, recorded by Miriam Margolis, which became damaged. Gemma Arterton's readings of these stories are flawless and hugely enjoyable. Her voices and characterisations are superb, distinct and lively, with a sweet, hapless Mildred, sneering Ethel and stern, icy Miss Hardbroom picked out especially well. Her grunting sounds when Ethel is turned into a pig are hilarious! Arterton reads with warmth and humour and she makes these recordings fun and friendly. The box set of four stories is great value, and I hope that Ms Arterton will record the remaining books in the series, perhaps including the most recent ...Wishing Star, to complete the series with a second box set. Please do this soon before I run out of children in the family to give me an excuse to listen to these wonderful readings.
6 people found this helpful
on 22 September 2017
Love this series of books. I constantly read them during my childhood and am now passing them on to my daughter for 5 years to enjoy. She has the audio book narrated by Gemma Arterton, version for kindle and the hard back. Gemma Arterton's reads these stories brilliantly making the stories really fun. I think its also lovely to have an old fashioned hard copy of the book - maybe its just the inner child in me. It really takes me back to my childhood hearing these stories again!
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 8 December 2014
Gemma Arterton is a natural at reading for children, she has so much genuine warmth and sense of fun in her voice that she's a joy to listen to, and her characterisations are faultless. In this wonderful boxset, she breathes sparkling life into the last three Worst Witch stories. The cover artwork is sweet, too, with the cds in matching pale green and twinkling stars. These newer stories are every bit as imaginative, fun and enthralling as the first books when the series began 40 years ago, and this beautifully read set of stories will bewitch young and old alike.
4 people found this helpful
on 25 October 2017
The Worst Witch arrived on time with great packaging.

About us - we are a family of four (mum, dad and two boys (aged 6&9)). We have extremely long (about an hour) car journeys travelling to and from school. My eldest has some extra learning needs so is possibly a little more immature than most 9 year olds. We generally upload the cd to our iPhone so we can listen to the story in the car and my children can use the cd at home.

I introduced The Worst Witch to my children over the summer holiday via the film and reading the books from the library. They loved it (I was secretly very pleased too).

The lady reading the story is in no way annoying which is always a worry when buying audio books, and entices you in to listen to the story. She is not as captivating as say David Walliams when he reads his books but still the gentle tone she uses is good.

Very happy with this audio book.
on 23 March 2017
Always loved reading this book to my three children for bedtime, one of their favourites. So bought this for a friend with a new baby so they can enjoy it too. Be warned though it is seriously sleep inducing and I only have to look at the book and it makes me yawn - seriously; all those years of conditioning I guess!
2 people found this helpful
on 22 September 2017
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 December 2013
I was very into stories about schools for little witches as a child, and there were a lot of them then. ("Spell Me A Witch" by Barbara Willard, "The Little Broomstick" by Mary Stewart, "The Witch Family" by Eleanor Estes, and a boy wizard appears in "Which Witch?" by Eva Ibbotson.)

But I was especially fond of "The Worst Witch", partly because the pen-and-ink illustrations on almost every page are full of such personality - the tabby kitten splayed out on the end of the broomstick with its eyes closed, hanging on for dear life, still cracks me up - and partly because, unlike in the other writers' stories, the heroine Mildred is not clever or talented or a "chosen one" or brilliant at magic. She's actually very bad at magic, and leaves well-meaning havoc in her wake everywhere she goes. Yet generally, in every adventure including this one (first in the series), she ends up performing some heroic deed that helps other people.

I have just read it out at bedtime to my six-year-old daughter, who is moving into 7+ years chapter books for her own reading. She was fascinated with the idea of boarding school, which she has never heard of before, and she loved the idea of children being able to turn each other into pigs and frogs..... wishful thinking on her part, I'm assuming. So I shall be getting the rest of the series.
on 13 June 2014
I remember watching this everyday after school, I loved it. I did not realise it was a book series. I am so glad it is though. I asked for this via netgalley but they denied my request so I bought it straight away. I read it in one sitting, well it is only 100pages long.

It transported me back to my child hood. I loved all of it. I was pleased to see all the characters I knew and loved were there. Especially Miss Bat, I love her, she is such a funny character. The pictures were good, I do not know whether they have been redone since the T.V. program, or if the people on the T.V. show did a great job of getting actors that look very like the characters. It really added to story.

The book is aimed at children, but I still loved it as an adult. I would definitely buy these for my future children.

5 out of 5 stars.
on 12 April 2018
My daughter loves the worst witch books and has sought out all the books that the school possesses to read. I also enjoy these books as she reads them to me...actually bought this copy in particular as she vomited forth over this book at school and I just couldn’t leave the school without! Fantastic story though, poor Mildred is forever in trouble at Miss Cackle’s academy for witches.