on 21 June 2005
I find it very easy to fall straight into these books.Good descriptive writing about the weather which makes you feel cold too.It slowed down a little halfway through but still lightly gripping.I love Graftons style of writing although I do have one gripe - does she have to describe every place/room etc that she goes into? Leave a bit to the imagination.I've read 10 of the alphabet books so far and love them.I find myself having withdrawal symptoms if I don't read one for couple of months.The plots are sometimes predictable,sometimes not.
on 23 July 1999
I liked the sense of humor that the author projected in this story. I thought it was neat the way she mixed the mystery and the humor together. However I was very disappointed in the ending of this book. I have to agree with the reviewer from California May 27, 1999 that said "the plot was uninteresting and the final scene absurd". I couldn't believe that after investing so much time and effort in following all the clues set forth in this story, the author would end it so abruptly? Ms. Grafton owed the reader a better explaination of what happened. I feel that I ultimately understood the ending, but I resented having to go back and re-read it over and over to get it. The story moved very slowly and I felt there should have been a pay off at the end for exercising such patients, unfortunately there wasn't. I will try some of Ms. Grafton's earlier work, but this story was not up to the usual standards of what I like to read.
In this book, Kinsey is out of her home town and like a fish out of water. Grafton captures her sense of unease and the feeling that she is out of her depth perfectly. I also thought the episodes with the stalker character were really well done, very menacing. However, I thought the story line was weak and unbelievable, although the denouement was tense and exciting. A great read for atmosphere and suspense.
on 12 April 2014
As with all the Sue Grafton alphabet books they are individual stories but reading A - W Kinsey Millhone, the female Private Detective grows and not only do you read about the case in question but it follows her love life or lack of at times and are really enjoyable reads. This is my third time going through the series as I first had them in books and are now transferring to my kindle and I know in future I shall read them again.
on 17 May 2013
I am running out of things to say. I have enjoyed all of the books A to V. I am not particularly interested in descriptions of journeys, landscapes, houses etc., but the stories are rattling good tales. I like the device of the quick ending and the ensuing epilogue.
If you are like me, you will see N Is for Noose as the ultimate development of the theme, "I am woman . . . hear me roar."
One of my favorite detective story lines is the one where the whole community turns against the protagonist. Despite this, the detective solves the crime. N Is for Noose follows that plot, and is well done. In fact, the book borders on the genre of the Western in many ways. Read it that way, and you'll like it better.
The book has one uncharacteristic quality for this series, Kinsey is quite slow to solve the mystery. I found that intriguing. Most problem-solving in reality is slow and ineffective. To me, it made the story more realistic and interesting to follow. Others will call it slow plot development.
The resolution in the final 40 pages or so is extremely unusual. It combines elements that are found in many other stories, but never in combination. It literally took my breath away. I could not read it fast enough, even though it is over quickly. Such a powerful coda after so many lento sections is an astonishing surprise, and one that worked well for me. Think of this book as having three long, slow movements followed by one allegro one done fortissimo!
Although this is certainly not the best book in the series, it is a very fine one. I urge you to read it, and appreciate its strengths.
Also, think about whether you really want your novels (and especially mysteries) to be too predictable. What kind of unpredictability is good? What kind isn't?
Stand up for what you believe in, too!
on 17 October 1999
In this book Kinsey has a damaged hand. Unfortunately so did I. This was the first time I had trouble identifying with her - she simply had none of the troubles I did though with two fingers dislocated. Lost my belief. Very samey. Nevertheless I'll probably continue reading them!
on 8 January 2014
Any review I give of Sue Grafton novels has to be taken with a pinch of salt. I have, I think, read all of the "Alphabet" series. This is one of the best fast, well constructed and exciting. Sure there are descriptive passages that do not really carry the story forward but that is just the way it is in this series..
on 27 February 2013
As usual Sue Grafton is gently amusing while presenting a quite difficult situation. I haven't found one of her Kinsey Millhone books so far that I haven't enjoyed. I look forward to the rest of the series.
on 26 March 2014
Like many other reviewers, I came across this book as a one-off, not realising it was part of a series.
Both my husband and I found it a thoroughly good "holiday read." It's what you'd expect, or hope for, insofar as it's a crime thriller and one which I found intriguing, pacey and, above all, well written. The author has a nice turn of phrase, good descriptive writing and some nice touches of humour.
I'm about to go back to the beginning and start at 'A'.