Customer reviews

on 3 June 2014
On the strength of this book I bought another of Miss Fraser's other publications, "Princesses: The Six Daughters of George III." This is all part of my contining introduction to the Georgian period, so I am not an expert on the time. If there are errors in the book I have not found.them - but I may have missed them!

The strength of the narrative depends on how much (and what type of) detail you prefer. For example. on page 56 (of my paperback) we get nearly a whole page on how people perceived Caroline's appearance. But generally I found the narrative tight and engaging. There are always problems remembering who is who, but that is all part of the fun of reading history. People who complain about this should stick to reading historical novels! There are two family trees at the beginning of the book, and these help.

Miss Fraser is, of course, the daughter (so I have read) of Antonia Fraser and I am no sure which is of the two I prefer. The only book by the mother (Antonia) I have read was the The Six Wives Of Henry VIII (WOMEN IN HISTORY), but this was too long ago. It may take several books by both authors before I can make a decision.

As a paperback, this is an inviting, enjoyable read for people who enjoy commercial history. It's not quite a classic, like Anne Sommerset's The Affair of the Poisons: Murder, Infanticide and Satanism at the Court of Louis XIV, but it's certainly an interesting addition. I call it "commercial history" because such history often overlooks or does not really reveal any of the real reasons behind some of the evets at the time.

George IV was, like most of the royality and aristocracy then and now, a Freemason. A Satanist, in other words. It's easy to put such a term on the court of Louis IV, as in Anne's Sommerset's book; much harder to do it in Britain. After all, people might then start to think that the present monarch could be one, too! She was crowned by a Satanist, AoC Geoffrey Fisher - a known (and very keen) Freemason. Mind the apron!

The review is based in my paperback. I am not aware of the quality of the e-book version. Some of my recent purchases (of e-books) have been disppointing because the production has been so poor. Some don't even have illustrations (even though they are in the contents page). This is very annoying!

E-books will never be as enjoyable as a real book (but they are easier to cary around), but it seems too many publishers are simply reducing some of them to the bare minimum: no cover; no illustrations; in fact very little thought to the whole experience!