Customer reviews

on 12 April 2017
I have been looking at this book for ages wondering if it would be of interest to me, that's the problem with not being able to look inside. Now I have finally bought it and I'm delighted. It's got so much information and is absolutely fascinating. I'm sure I'll be reading it from cover to cover. And of course I'll be wanting the others in the series too.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on 1 August 2012
The Janet Arnold books are a great resource for anyone into the history of costume and costume making. I bought this book for myself a while ago and have made many variations and adaptations of the ruff patterns. It has been my present of choice for friends who work as makers for the theatre, opera and film. The photographs of actual shirts and accessories worn at the time are very useful for getting a sense of the fabrics and materials used. A very inspiring book , I only wish it came in hardback form as mine is looking very dog-eared.
on 28 November 2013
Actually that is not true. If you are buying this book, it is because you really do want to know just what kinds of linen were used to make a ruff, exactly how the seams are constructed in a shirt.. You are, in fact, a said costume geek like me and you will love this, as much as you loved all her other books. Nothing to criticise!
on 4 April 2018
Amazing book! Absolutely worth the money, it was wonderfully packaged and secure, and every page will help unmeasurably with my uni work.
on 3 January 2014
I first saw a copy of this series of books back in the early 1980's studying Theatre Design. They are a fantastic source of information about period styles and lines with examples of original patterns. Put together by a costume designer, I think they are a must have for people interested in costume and history.
on 8 June 2013
Brilliant as ever. I have all Janet's books and they have inspired my love of historical costume since I was a student in the eighties. They are for the experienced in terms of reproducing {as I found!} but provide accurate and detailed information beyond any book I've seen so far.
on 7 January 2014
I have the other three books in this series and this is the last one for me to get. I have found the other book very useful and expect to get the same amount of help from this book. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in studding or making the clothes of the renascence
on 25 July 2011
A useful tool in helping one create some of the accessories for those who want to wear more historically correct garments for fun or history activities. The lace samples are extremely helpful to those of us who are lacemakers and helps me guide my re-enactor friends with what kind of lace is appropriate for their costumes.
on 8 February 2017
These boks are iconic and just so useful and interesting to read through. A must for costume making.
on 13 January 2017
I love this book. Wonderfully clear patterns, information and attention to detail. A total joy.