on 29 May 2017
Katie Bishop is discovered murdered at her home in Brighton and her husband, Brian, is the obvious suspect. He has an alibi which is being investigated and Roy leaves the investigation in the capable hands of his second-in-command while he flies to Munich for a day to investigate a sighting of his own wife, Sandy, who disappeared several years before. While he is there, a second murder is discovered in Brighton. On his return, the forensic evidence that was recovered from Katie and from the second body appears to confirm that the murderer is Brian Bishop. Then the case becomes personal for Roy when his current love, Cleo, becomes the next target. There is an ingenious solution to the puzzle of alibi versus forensics. Full of description and character interest, this is a great read.
on 21 August 2016
I'm working my way through the Roy Grace series and it's an easy addictive read. Shortish chapters jumping from one thing to another keeps the reader gripped and keeps it pacy. My only criticism is the over descriptives used in every aspect, especially Brighton geography and demography. Peter James seems to insist on demonstrating his knowledge of the area and that he's done his homework a lot which becomes a little tiresome after a while. The negative description of the hospital is poor, as having had first hand experience of it, this is excessive and should have been withdrawn. Enough said, I predicted the outcome 80% in but still a good read.
on 5 June 2015
Not since the heady days of James Patterson have I enjoyed crime fiction so much. Peter James has become one of my favourite authors along with Chris Carter. I am so glad I came across them both, as, in my opinion they are currently the best there is.

They both write gory, graphic stories with brilliant plots. Both write character driven novels, but their writing styles differ. Carter tends to concentrate more on the crimes themselves, whist still developing brilliant characters. James concentrates more on character development and leaves the crime scenes to speak for themselves.

So here in Peter James’s third book in the Roy Grace series, we have a kinky serial killer stalking the streets of Brighton. The wife and girl friend of a wealthy business man are murdered and of course the prime suspect is the husband. Grace and his team are convinced they have all the necessary facts together to know what they are doing. We know better. When will Grace and his team catch on?

This is a long book and slightly predictable but a lot of fun and James plays cat and mouse with our patience and emotions, throwing in many twists and turns.

However, as much as I have enjoyed books two and three in the Roy Grace series, neither have attained the level of suspense, tension and sheer claustrophobic terror of his first RG book - Dead Simple. In that book the plot was relatively simple, had a winning formula and as such was hard to beat. His subsequent RG books produced more complicated plots.

But this is a mute point. Not Dead Enough is a great, entertaining read and I look forward to reading more in the series.
on 22 April 2017
2.5 stars/ 3 stars

This is the first book I have read by Peter James and I have jumped straight into book 3.
My book club are seeing the play in the Summer; so we thought it was best we actually read the book!

I did enjoy the story & found it an easy read .. BUT it could have been made a lot shorter. I felt it was quite repetitive (I get it, Cleo has an MG TF) & Brighton was mentioned in every other page it felt like.

I am not sure if I will read any more of Roy Grace series. If I did, the only reason would be to find out what happened to Sandy (as there was a couple of chapters where he just jumps on a plane to Munich to find her?)
on 13 February 2013
Excellent and absorbing, a few twists and turns that keep the reader fully entertained. I have found that reading the books in order certainly helps to understand the one or two themes that are applicable to the main characters personal and professional life.
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes crime novels.
on 7 August 2015
My problem is that I am reading this excellent series in order, gradually working my way though them. I find I cannot remember which murder or series of murders happened in which book! For me, the 'bigger picture' of Glenn's marriage breakup, the ongoing mystery of Sandy and the developing love affair with Cleo are somehow more important than the individual 'episode' represented by an individual book. I definitely like them and I do think it is important to read the whole series in order.
on 19 November 2014
This is a difficult one. I read Dead Simple and really enjoyed it it was gripping from the first page so I was looking forward to reading Book 2. At the beginning the character descriptions were good I could really picture them in my mind but every chapter seemed to be 90% descriptions of people and their hair and what they were wearing so I skimmed over big parts of each chapter it wasn't until 80% into the book that it reverted back to being a thriller. I couldn't decide whether to award 3 or 4 stars in the end the 4 stars won because I did think it was a good story. Not sure if I will read book 3 or not.
HALL OF FAMETOP 10 REVIEWERon 30 November 2016
I like Peter James – and in particular I enjoy the Roy Grace “Dead” books - set in Brighton. These are an excellent series and a great and compelling read. I just can’t get enough of them. Highly recommended. I hope you enjoy this one too. Thanks for your time.
on 27 December 2014
I discovered Peter James in the 80s when he was writing absolutely cracking tales of the paranormal. This series of police procedurals is obviously meticulously researched and well-written but for me, being an avid MacBride/Billingham/McDermid reader, they seem a wee bit tame. Also, I find the Roy Grace character a bit of a limp lettuce. I imagine him as a public schoolboy trying to be one of the lads. What I do like about these books are the detailed descriptions of Brighton which is a place I adore, as obviously does Peter James. All this aside, they are quite an easy read, if overly long, and I will probably read more of them.
on 25 October 2015
Dreadful - I have bought a few in this series in hope that they would improve but they haven't. The author kept using the same phases in all the books!