on 18 March 2017
I chose this book initially as I was looking for something different from my usual choice of sci-fi fantasy. This book popped up as a recommendation by Amazon and I took a chance based on its reviews and the fact that the author was English. (Yes I know, not the best reason for choice) but I'm glad I did. Very good from start to finish. Highly recommended.
on 30 December 2015
This is the second book I've read by Adam Nevill, the other being the excellent 'The Ritual' and while not quite hitting the heights of the aforementioned book it is still a really good slice of horror with believable, likable well rounded characters.

There is also a clever reference to his previous works, that gives them a common narrative thread.

I'm looking forward to reading more.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 September 2014
I enjoyed this one. From the very beginning, reading the prologue, I thought "Right then, chaps. Here we ruddy well go! Let's 'ave it!" and sat up with anticipation. I read the first few chapters and then hit the hay, but with great enthusiasm. I went to my mate's house for the weekend (without my book) and every now and then found myself thinking "Corr, I wonder what'll happen next?" then when I got back, I read the rest in one go because I just *had to know, dammit!*

I'm not going to post any spoilers here (because that ain't my bag, unless the book is terrible (but I always give fair warning when I do)), but there were a couple of bits I could've done without. The one thing that *really* got on my nerves was the lead character, whom I really liked to begin with. Without giving anything away, he comes across some proper moody, supernatural s*** where the impossible becomes possible and nightmares become reality and the supernatural becomes natural. He witnesses this all first-hand. Then later, he gets told somewhat of a conclusion, and dribbles on about "How it's not possible!" (like Scully in 'X-Files'. Remember how she sees all those Aliens, Zombies, Mud Monsters, Smoke Men, but still feels the need to question Mulder on EVERYTHING?? It's a bit like that).

Still, without taking that into account *too* much, this is definitely a page turner. The thing I love most about Adam Nevill's work is his attention to detail. He puts a lot of research and location/history building into his stuff and should definitely be recognised for it. And the Old Friends are just fantastic.

A lot of people are complaining about the ending (which, yeah...may have been a *little* too mad for my taste and expectations), but what you need to understand is this; for example: I loved 'The Ritual' but hated the ending. After reading this (which has references to 'The Ritual' (and don't worry, he's written it in a way so there's no spoilers, in case you're yet to read it, so you'll only spot them if you've actually read it) which made me think "Oh wow, what a cool conclusion!". So who knows, maybe we'll get answers in the next one (God, I hope I'm not wrong and jumping the gun on that).

Anyway, really good book, and great value for money. I recommend this author.
on 30 September 2016
Personally, this is my favourite book by the author (to date). From the very start you’re hooked onto the story, desperate to get to the bottom of the mystery that surrounds the supernatural events the main character has been sent out to film.

His writing style is something that you quickly grow to love, connecting with the characters almost instantly. The horror side of it is one of the best I have read in a long time: original and creepy. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to find this turned into a film at one point where the spooks would really come to life. I will say, however, that I was slightly disappointed by the ending. It seemed a little bit compacted compared to the rest of the book and mildly predictable. Nevertheless, it was really enjoyable and a must read for all horror fans.
on 28 October 2016
This was the first book of Adam Nevill's I have read and I enjoyed it.

Kyle has been tasked with documenting the last survivors of a cult, along with his best mate Dan. As they do so, unexplained things happen in the filming locations and to those survivors, which cannot be explained.

I think the subject of this book was a good one and it was well tackled. However, the writing could have been tighter and the story told in fewer pages, in my opinion. I found myself on the edge of my seat several times during the reading of this book and I wouldn't recommend reading it in the dark!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 13 January 2018
What a truly compelling read, it's been a long time since I have read a great horror story. I look forward to reading more books from Adam Neville.
on 22 October 2017
This is my second Adam nevill novel & it didn't disappoint. Better than the ritual. Would love to know what happens next, surely there's milage in a second book.
Thanks for an amazing book
on 17 April 2017
Enjoyed the story and characters, even had me jumpy in places, although I think the end was a bit abrupt. Definitely worth a read tho.
on 19 January 2018
I mainly read on my commute to and from work. This book was astounding. Loved the way it sucked me into the story and almost missed my stop on several occasions. Will make sure I read more by Adam Nevill his writing is second to none. This book needs to be turned into a movie immediately!
on 15 January 2018