Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 26 July 2017
Found the story long winded and boring. The story started off ok but the next 2/3rds of the book were extremely long winded and had very little to do with the excitement of the book title.For me not the best book to come from Wilbur Smith
on 27 January 2014
For me - an ex merchant seaman - this has a lot of elements that I like. The fact that all the characters have a built up description enhances the reading enjoyment. I just like the way Wilbur Smith writes though the best books are the Courtney series.

The plot unwinds smoothly and quickly making it hard to put the book down. Probably not his best book but still an enjoying read.
on 22 November 2013
This is a really good story. I love Wilbur anyway, but this is a successful diversion from Africa. The characters as usual are strong and believable and I was riveted from page one.
on 26 May 2017
Great story and well up to Wilbur's extraordinary high standards. Fast moving thriller which was a, "can't put down page turner"
on 15 August 2015
Really enjoyed this book
on 5 March 2017
I like the story
on 6 November 2003
I was lucky enough to buy a box set of 8 novels by Wilbur Smith and have thoroughly enjoyed 6 I have read so far. Though this one is undoubtably the best.
The characters have been superbly described, being very strong and believable, even if some of the scenes do stretch the imagination. However, if you are willing just to enjoy the scenes that are described then this book is one you won't be able to put down.
As I got near the end I found myself trying to imagine the different ways this book would end, and was still surprised as I turned the last few pages.
In short this is a must read!!! Totally unputdownable!!!
VINE VOICEon 19 September 2006
Another typically good Wilbur Smith story.

This one is set in the mid 60s and focuses on the hero Nicholas Berg and his trip from 40 year old hasbeen to great success once more. It all starts with him taking on the captaincy of one of the two ships (the bulk of the novel is set at sea) his struggling firm owns to try and rediscover his vitality. And it works.

Needless to say this is gripping adventure at it's best all the way through and is a stand-alone novel so can be read without reading any of Wilbur Smith's other material.
VINE VOICEon 13 June 2013
Oh dear. I seem to be very much in a minority here, but I really hated this novel (and I never say that lightly), although (and here I must be honest) I failed to finish it. It begins with seemingly endless descriptions of the minutiae of ships and shipping, of storms and tornados, and much of this was quite hard to follow if you aren't acquainted with the subject (I'm not). And the writing...Cliche followed upon cliche, and our hero never looked at his "watch", but always at his "Rolex Oyster"; sometimes even his "Rolex diamond Oyster". This watch was mentioned in these terms eight times in all. The love interest was obvious from the outset, as our (very handsome) hero courted his (staggeringly beautiful) girl.

I usually enjoy Wilbur Smith; not so much for the quality of his writing, but because at his best he writes a thoroughly gripping yarn. But I was very disappointed in this one. Maybe it serves me right for reading one of his earlier works (although I enjoyed his Balantyne and Courteney novels), but I shall think twice before tackling his books again.
on 7 July 2000
No one writes big musulcar fiction like Wilbur Smith and this has always been one of my favourite non "Courtney" books. It's a pretty straight forward adventure novel, packed with all the excitement and derring do you could hope for. However it's Smith's skill as a writer that raises this above the works of most other adventure writers, his magical turn of phrase brings every scene to life and his characters have a life depth that is rare in this type of book and, even though you know the hero will win out, you find yourself careing about him. The climax is based on as unlikely a set of coincidental circumstances as it's possible to imagine but Smith keeps the pace and exceitment high and as long as you don't think too deeply about what is happening you'll experience the ride of a lifetime.