Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 August 2015
A wonderful book from this master of sci fi - I read it really quickly as wanted to find out what happened next!
on 5 December 2015
Hate books but couldnt put this badboy down. Fantasy bordering reality masterpiece! China in your hand
on 24 February 2000
For a new writer he's very good. The story has a very strange but intriging plot. I wish he wouldn't keep writing about the rhythm of Jungle music, how the notes soar and dive and intermingle with bass, and the bass holding then a high note pitching an' all that (y'know what I mean)....it does my head in, I honestly don't understand what he was going on about. He uses a lot of British slang in King Rat's dialogue.....that gives me a headache also as I'm sure it did with many readers. It's fine is you're bred and raised in London but for an English girl who is raised on the Far Eastern side of the world much of what he wrote meant nothing to me...so I had to make wild guesses. Anyway, I don't want to make the poor lad feel bad, it is his first book after all. He has a lot of promise and a good style, and I will follow his work.
on 7 February 2000
Try to remember all the nursery rhymes and stories you used to know when you were very young; The Pied Piper of Hamlin, Incy Wincy Spider, etc. Now jumble them all together into one scenario, change the setting to modern day London. Throw in a dash of doom and gloom, gritty suburbs and the dark end of life. Finally garnish with lavishings of drum and base culture and voila: King Rat. A great story involving age old characters, revamped for the present. After reading this you'll never remember nursery rhymes in quite the same way!
on 8 May 2001
China Mieville has a talent with words that I can't even find words for. I was simply astonished from the first page. This is the only book that I would even consider writing a review for...a writer with his talent must have his name shouted from the rooftops! The plot caught hold and wouldn't let go, I could smell the filth and the stink, heard the running water of the sewers, I danced the piper's dance, and shuddered at the beat of drum-n-bass.
Only the necessity of keeping my job is stopping me from running to the nearest bookstore for Perdido Street Station. For the man whom conjured this subterranean rat-world; excellent job!
on 15 September 2000
Absolutely amazing story-telling. After reading Perdido Street Station I decided to backtrack to Mr. Meiville's first book. I wasn't disappointed. He spins a web of adventure and spans the imagination. I'll be definately keeping an eye on this man's future work.
VINE VOICEon 31 May 2003
This novel follows the antics of a man who discovers he is half-rat, as he is thrust by his heritage into a hidden war in the midst of London. This is less densely plotted than Mieville’s later books, but just as fantastic. Don’t be put off by any fears of the novel being impenetrable due to its ‘Jungle’ music background – I have absolutely no knowledge of this scene and the novel was perfectly coherent. It’s no Perdido Street Station, but its still good stuff…
on 8 March 2015
Cracking read!
on 25 March 2000
A very good book and deserves a place on a fantasy lovers bookshelf. This novel has compelled me to read future Mieville novels and I am really looking forward to Mieville's latest"Perdido Street Station". A new and exciting author and I think he has a rosy future and a huge readership ahead. Check him out!
on 4 June 2014
I didn't buy this for myself as I'm not a fan of China Mieville, but it arrived promptly, in great condition and the person I bought it for seems to like it, so a job well done!