Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 July 2017
Just amazing, that one woman's cells are the 'eternal cells' that reproduces all the time. Because of this, doctors, scientists have been able to develop the polio vaccine, to help with cancer research, with cloning and gene mapping. The cells have even been on the moon to observe the reaction of human cells in space - the list goes on. Yet, her children live in dire poverty in America. A grave injustice.
on 19 August 2017
I'm into medical facts, research and memoirs and this book has it all. Genetics and medicine are a part of my life as a patient/mother and this book gave me further knowledge and understanding. Well written and a good read if you like facts inside a true story. Also there is the history of how black people were treated legally(?) as less important in that era but not by all.
on 17 August 2017
The fascinating story of Henrietta Lacks, whose cancerous cells were taken from her body and are still being used for research today. For anyone interested in medicine, science and/ or social divide, this is definitely for you!
on 16 August 2017
This was an amazing read, I was fascinated how Rebecca kept in touch with her challenge to find out about his woman and her back ground. Ive have always been interested in the progress of medical research and this was a real eye opener! Although taken medical law in America I could see how this is interpreted the world wide.
I had to tell everyone I was reading this book.
Well done Rebecca to bringing the history of HeLa cells to the general public.
on 28 September 2016
Great book! This popped up on one of my lecturers reading lists for my nursing research class. I'd actually bought it prior to realising as the book just sounded fascinating. I wasn't disappointed. Great read about a wonderful woman
on 3 April 2013
This book is the very definition of mixed feelings. Knowing that a poor black woman was exploited by the medical establishment, and that after her death her cells saved uncounted lives through medical advancements made possible by her cells is difficult to reconcile.

The science is fascinating, the sociology of it abhorrent, and I can only hope that her descendants will benefit from the profits made from the discoveries her cells enabled.
on 27 April 2017
Throughly enjoyed this book very informative and sad for the family to not have been informed at the beginning and also about their sister
on 4 September 2017
A brilliant read. An interesting mix of human interest and science. Very well written and researched. I really enjoyed reading it.
on 8 June 2017
After watching the film, I wanted to know more so bought the book what an amazing and heartbreaking story.
on 21 August 2017
This is next on my list to read. Looking through it I am sure I will enjoy it very much. Many thanks.