This was my second time reading this novel, and it was so much better than I remembered! It turned out that I had completely forgotten almost everything that happened in this novel, so it was like I was reading it for the first time.

Helen grew as a character in this book. She was much more important in this one because her character plays a vital role in trying to stop the furies from destroying families and causing fights. She managed to stay strong after everything she'd been told at the end of the previous book. I did feel bad for her because she couldn't stop feeling what she was feeling, even though she knew it was wrong (but we knew that it wasn't). I wish I could have told her character that her mother lied to save her all that pain and suffering. But Helen did manage to stay strong. She had a goal in this one that kept her occupied.

I loved Lucas so much and I can't even understand how much he had to have been hurting for him to react the way he did. Lucas was keeping a lot of secrets in this one which were gradually revealed throughout the story. He also was always near Helen to protect her even though he shouldn't and mainly because he couldn't stay away from her. My heart ached for him because of all the pain he was being put through because Helen's mother is a bitch.

I still didn't like Helen's mother Daphne in this one after what she said at the end of Starcrossed. Even though she was helping Hector & Orion, she had her own motives that she was keeping a secret.

Hector is my favourite character in this series. He's hilarious and just so sweet. I felt so bad for him because he was separated from his family because of the furies, but it was lovely to see him and Helen together because he was still able to be close to someone he loved.

I was very intrigued by Orion. He was suddenly in the Underworld with Helen even though she'd been there for ages and hadn't seen him before. So I was very interested to learn more about him. He was a very sweet and caring guy. He worried about Helen and was determined to do everything he could to help and protect her.

I loved seeing Claire & Jason and Matt & Ariadne together! Even though Matt & Ariadne weren't a proper couple, I was rooting for them because they would be perfect together.

The storyline in this one was much more interesting. There was a lot more going on with Helen and Orion trying to stop the furies; the 100 cousins targeting Helen; Lucas & Helen and Lucas going off the rails.
The ending was fantastic! It was gripping, thrilling and I just couldn't put the book down. I was shocked by what happened and how everything happened, but I was very interested to see how it was going to affect all of the characters in the next book (especially the Zach thing).

Overall, this one was much better than the first book with the introduction of new characters and the fast-paced, action packed plot. This is a series I definitely recommend if you haven't started yet!
on 12 April 2013
I really enjoyed the first book in this series when I read it earlier this year and in many ways Dreamless delivered just as well as Starcrossed did. I do like the way Angelini uses the traditional mythology: some very famous and obvious, such as Helen and Paris, the Oracle, etc. with others less common.

Certainly, I read the book quickly and found it difficult to put down (although the chapters are quite long, so that could explain it!) But I didn't enjoy the dynamics between the characters as much as I did in the first book - I missed Helen and Lucas's intensity and was quite put off by how their relationship developed/dwindled in Dreamless - I understand why this was necessary for the plot, but I still missed them.

There's lots of romantic developments for other characters, which if you've read Starcrossed I'm sure you can guess at - they were fine, but I wasn't overly fussed. The baddies are good though and I thought the overall plot was interesting. Angelini's skirting around the idea of a love triangle towards the end of the book - I hope she doesn't opt for this 'go to' plot device in Book 3 as it's been done too much recently and I'll probably switch right off.

Overall Verdict: 4* People who liked Starcrossed will enjoy this I'm sure - doesn't suffer too badly from 'second book syndrome'. For a mythology YA it's one of the better series around.
on 27 August 2012
Review 7*******

This is the sequel to Starcrossed. I had been eagerly awaiting the book, and it certainly doesn't disappoint! I LOVED IT!

Helen is the Descender, the only living person able to access the Underworld. She is a fantastic character, and I love her loyalty to her friends. Having paid her blood debt to the House of Thebes, she and the rest of the Delos family are trying to come up with a way to get to the Furies, to stop the blood feud.

Lucas is also a fantastic character. I feel for him as he struggles to stay away from Helen. The fates seem to have other ideas though.

In this story, we are also introduced to some new characters, as well as some old ones. Zach is more involved than before, but not in a good way. Then there is Orion. He is sent to help Helen in the Underworld. He is also a fantastic character, and he adds a new dimension to the story. He is the Head of House of Rome and Heir to another house. I know that he has the power to affect desire in people's hearts, but he is (to me) the perfect example of a hero; having power, but being reluctant to use it.

Josephine Angelini has written another masterpiece! This story is so fast paced that I felt breathless in places! The descriptions of Hades, Persephone, Ares and the Furies are so lifelike, that I could imagine them quite clearly. So too was the Underworld; it made me thirsty just reading about it! I hope that I don't have that journey to look forward to when it's my time! I am now looking forward to reading the next book, as this one ended on a cliffhanger! I highly recommend this book and series to those of you who are looking for a fantastic YA action/adventure/romance filled with Greek mythology and Gods. - Lynn Worton (WaAR)
on 6 September 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I like Helen and the family unit that is involved in this part of the story. I read a fair bit of YA and I am getting a little sick of the love triangle aspect, having said that this love triangle is one of the better ones. I think the author does a good job addressing the insest issues. My only gripe is that I do not understand why no one has yet to work out the fact that Helen's dad died longer than 17 years ago so coudln't possibly be her dad!!! I thought they all adored their brother so you would have thought the simple act of a quick maths equation would sort out that situation!!! Anyway now I have that off my chest. Even with this part of the story I enjoyed the book and found it hard to put down. The story has set up the final book really well and I will be interested in how it all turns out.
on 3 September 2016
I liked it when Helen met Orion in the underworld and when her mother came into the story, even though her mother is a manipulative person. Thought the love triangle is annoying but then I don't really like love triangles although I suppose it does heighten the tension slightly.
on 22 September 2014
This book took me on a real emotional rollercoaster and it was so full of suspense that I was turning the pages very quickly to get to the next to find out how things turn out. I can't wait to read the next one.
on 27 December 2017
loved the book and can't wait for new releases!
on 23 July 2015
I've bought all the books in the series and highly recommend this to fans of Fire, Bitterblue, Twilight, The immortals, the city of bones and Fallen. This book it great for older teens and has some sexual references in it. It's wrapped up in Greek mythology (which I love) and the plot really is ingenious. This is a great book for new found fantasy lovers or writers. The series is fantastically well written with laughs, loves, real feelings and some (hinted) incest taboos. (Implied but not graphic).
on 16 May 2014
An excellent 2nd book of the trilogy. It does not suffer from second book syndrome where you can tell that some authors are just saving everything for the finale. This is just as actioned packed as the first. The only reason it is not a 5 star rating is because there were as we have come to expect a few frustrating cliff hangers
on 30 March 2013
The first book was gripping, however the second has kept me up till the early hours of the morning. It has an excellent love story/triangle. Howver the complicated herioc story is so nail bitting. You truley have no idea what is coming next. I can not wait for the third part to be released.