Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 October 2016
What a great book - his writing style really draws you in. I would say that this book has a bent towards readers with some medical experience as there is quite a lot of terminology involved. A fascinating account of the start of the use of L-Dopa in Parkinsonism. I didn't know much at all about the epidemic of sleeping sickness, or the sequelae involved. This is just a really interesting book and very enjoyable in the way it is written.
on 19 May 2016
I had read Henry Marsh's "Do No Harm" in which he refers to Oliver Sachs work. I then saw Awakenings on a list of 100 Books to read in a lifetime, and thought I would enjoy it. This turned out to be a gross underestimation as I loved it. I was enthralled by these characters and the transformations they had under L-DOPA.
The style of writing, the case studies suited me as I work in a medical-related world, although Dr Sachs gives a more human picture than many case study notes. I don't think it would be to everyone's like and so I would question it being part of "100 books" but given the factual books that I enjoy reading, this has to go into my personal top ten. Amazing book about amazing people and their varying responses to a life-controlling condition.
on 10 August 2013
I wanted to read this book after finding other books by Oliver Sacks so interesting. It has been a long, hard and emotional read as there is a lot to absorb and it really gets you thinking. It wakes you up to the fact that the human brain is utterly amazing and that we (humankind) know so little of what makes us tick. It makes you thankful that there are people out there like Oliver Sacks, who devote themselves to their callings, spending huge amounts of time and effort documenting results of their work and actions, listening to their patients and trying their utmost to come to some understanding of these individuals' feelings and circumstances.
on 16 July 2013
Great work on neurologically damaged patients; a book of profound emotion and thought on human life and human nature with a powerful point about the central energy that we all possess and how our inner system can be so perturbed but also how the people described in the book find the resources to respond and decide what they want to live for or not. As a psychotherapis, I found this book illuminating.
on 21 July 2017
Not the best OS book but still interesting and of course well written. You can tell this was before he found his lovely writing style we all know and love. At first he was far more academic, like fresh from school and scientific.
on 16 July 2017
My granddaughter likes it.
on 12 April 2000
I have migraines, and I think this book is terrific. It does tend to be too technical, but has a Glossary that includes most unfamiliar terms. The artwork is great, and his whole treatment of the disorder is fascinating. I recommend it highly for all who experience migraines and for their families, although with the caveat that getting through it probably does require some combination of advanced education, patience with flipping to the glossary, keen interest, and openness to learning quite a lot.
11 Comment| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 September 2013
This man knows what he is talking about. Well researched and with references it goes into depth about the condition(s) and the myriad of possible causes. Discussion of therapies is balanced and informed and treats the lay reader with some degree of respect.
Tip: the print is very small, and the quality is not the best with (I think) a poor font choice.
Ironic that it will be read by migraine sufferers - kindle might be better
on 29 May 2017
Medical jargon is there but I'm a nurse so that's ok and it's not too heavy. There are lots of passages quoting ancient writing on migraine and more recent Victorian writings which I find a bit tedious. I'm only p65 so I think that stops soon. The bit I find difficult is the Victorian style the author writes in, I think he may have favoured the ancient scripts a bit too much much and got into character and now can't get out. Not an easy read I'll wager!
on 25 September 2016
Wonderful brand new condition - very pleased