on 26 August 2013
These GK crosswords are really good brain teasers with a consistent high standard. I have given it a 4 star because, (and this is my only negative point), you have to keep flicking backwards and forwards to see all of the clues. Otherwise very enjoyable. I would recommend this book.
on 10 February 2013
I enjoy my weekly Saturday puzzle in the Daily Telegraph and this selection is fine. If there is a criticism then it would be much better if the clues and the grid could be viewed together rather than having to turn pages.
on 7 September 2013
I thought this would be like The Times jumbo general knowledge crosswords, with a large page format and clues on the opposite page to the puzzle, but it has a very poor layout on cheap paper. Because each puzzle is a spread over several pages you have to turn backwards and forwards to check clues and enter the solution which is awkward and annoying.
If you are looking for a quick challenge you may also find many of the clues a bit obscure. I would say they are more University Challenge level than general knowledge, although I guess that's my problem for not being clever enough.
on 19 December 2011
I purchased the 9th and 10th book, which arrived within 48 hours. I love this type of crossword and these really keep you on your toes. The research is very enjoyable and my husband and I look like Darby and Joan as we sit on the sofa, in front of the fire and share our crossword! Except for Strickly, better than watching the tele!
on 13 June 2011
Good middle of the road crossword questions. Drawback is that the clues are spread over 2 separate pages and are very awkward to look at.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 October 2014
We do these crosswords as a family affair so there is much hilarity, argument and back stabbing involved. We also don't believe in "cheating" i.e. using a computer or reference books so we don't expect to complete the puzzles we just like to see how far we can get on our own. We previously worked our way through book 2 and did well enough to be pleased with ourselves but are finding this one much harder. The layout is also more compressed which makes it even harder to work with but it's all good, clean (language aside) fun.
on 11 October 2011
I've bought several of these DT general knowledge crosswords and am proud of the fact that I actually completed one of the crosswords without access to a computer. They are extremely difficult but addictive and, even at my age, educational. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is the cumbersome format. Make the book bigger and fit the puzzles on two pages rather than three.
on 25 June 2013
Enjoy the challenge, flicking over page a bit of a pain, this keeps your mind active when you are old would recommend this series
on 18 December 2011
I enjoyed the puzzles but thought the layout unhelpful.It would be nicer to see the grid and all the questions at the same time
on 8 September 2015
It is what we asked for - a little bit heavy on astrology and Nobel prize winners for me but thank goodness for the answers at the back. I will dfinitely keep buying the latest ones.