on 2 February 2016
Book quality is amazing and good value for money. Content-wise: Oliver Sacks described his cases very clearly and in an interesting fashion though I felt that he got too technical at times. It is nevertheless a great book that demystifies the world of neuroscience ( or at least, part of it that is interesting and palatable to most people). I would recommend this to medical students and anyone who is interested in neuroscience. But, I am not sure if this is a generally easy book to read for those who are foreign to neurology and science. This book delved into the details quite nicely and although it is very interesting, it may be a heavy one to read.
on 31 January 2014
I loved this book. It shows how fascinating our brain and human beings are. I read it in translation in my language. This time I bought it for my partner. At the beginning the things written here are so strange that it might give difficulties to follow for some people, but be patient. You will find yourself in amazement for the world of "brain".

It was written by the doctor. However, there is no special language. Common people can enjoy.

My English language teacher recommended this book (long time ago).
on 26 June 2017
A mixture of real case studies and medical explanations. Better enjoyed if you read it leaving breaks between chapters, the contents are so dense, hard to appreciate reading it quickly...
on 5 January 2011
I don't remember why I bought this book, but I'm so glad I did. I'm not a student; I have no knowledge of nor any interest in neurology. As other reviewers have said it is beautifully written, laugh-out-loud funny and yet so very tragic. While I can offer no serious critique for the student or professional, I can certainly recommend this book to everybody else.

When my seven year-old daughter read the cover title she became so intrigued that I was forced to read out-loud the first case study - The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat. While she found it so funny that I was forced to read out every other case study too, I found it quite astonishing and thoroughly moving. I know now that I understand much less than I thought, and that to me is the sign of a great book.
on 28 December 2015
Haven't managed to finish this as lost interest about half way through. Case studies are interesting but felt it was aimed at a different audience to me (my science background made some of the preamble unnecessary but skipping it meant missing details so what was the point in reading it?) May go back to it in the future, the topic is fascinating but perhaps the style is just not right for me. I prefer a less clinical overview I think.
on 31 March 2016
I really enjoyed this book and it really opened my eyes to what we do and don't know about the brain. There are many different conditions in this book and each chapter is another patients story. I was impressed with how so many people manage to endure these conditions for years whilst still making a life for themselves. It really is worth a read and I'd read other books by the same author.
on 13 September 2015
A classic book, written by an expert in mental disorders (who died very recently). The book makes a lot of sense to me now - I have lived long enough to have met people with some of the conditions he describes. The book is a series of essays on individuals - each chapter is 'stand alone', and can be read in isolation from the others.

Recommended reading!
on 9 February 2018
Brilliant book gives a great insight into the weird and wonderful conditions people suffer from. Oliver sacks a man I would of loved to have had a coffee with and just listen to him talk. Reading him talk he always sees the person and not just the condition a wonderful talent a lot of doctors forget about today.
on 22 May 2016
This book is more suited to a neurology student or doctor as there is a great deal of very technical information on the few patients they mention. I've given the book three stars in recognition of the depth of the patient information however, I found it quite difficult to read, and I've got a medical background!
on 5 July 2016
Ostensibly a journal of a neurologist. It's much more than that. Reading the stories of his many and varied patients, you come to question what make a person human. Rightly praised and deserves its best seller status.