• Creed
  • Customer reviews

on 31 December 2016
When freelance photographer Joe Creed sets out to capture a series of photos at the funeral of a famous actress, he gets the chance to take a few snaps of a strange old man at the graveside. But developing the pictures leads him into a mystery - one he can't easily explain. Learning the name of his unwitting subject and what it could mean if turns out to be true, only adds inconceivable reasoning to an already unsettling tale. With the help of an attractive ally, Creed sets out to discover just what the hell is going on.

Sometimes the very thing that grabs a reader's attention (in terms of an author's style), is the same thing that can get a little annoying after a while - similar scenarios, use of language etc. And when that happens, sometimes it's best to just leave that particular writer alone for a while and spread your readery wings further afield.

I first got into James Herbert's books in the late Seventies, when horror novels were coming back into fashion. With books like 'The Rats', 'The Fog' and 'The Dark', I found stories that had just the right amount of blood, guts and scary stuff to keep me interested for several years. Nevertheless, as I grew (perhaps) a little too familiar with the plots, other authors caught my attention and I veered away from Britain's most prolific horror writer. Now, with a suitable gap of twenty-odd years, I'm getting back to where my interest in the genre started.

Joe Creed is a fascinating and realistic character and his chaotic exploits kept me eagerly turning the pages as the plot developed arms, legs and devilish tails, but I did find the author's inclination to comment on the story as it went along a little irritating. So while I'm more than happy to give the book five stars for its entertainment value alone, I don't think this is James Herbert's best work - it doesn't quite capture the audacity and excitement of his early writing and the unexpected twists are less twisty and not so unexpected.

Nonetheless, this novel did renew my interest and those early books will, I'm sure, stand up to another look, so I'll be returning to James Herbert again soon - The Rats are coming...
on 7 September 2001
Herbert is on top form with this novel. I love this book. It is very well written and has a clever, engrossing plot which makes the book hard to put down. From the first chapter (a bizarre funeral sequence) the pace never slackens. James Herbert is not afraid to take new directions in his writing and this is very evident with 'Creed'. What seperates this from many of his earlier novels is the emphasis on dark humour (in one instance Herbert sends up the 'rats' books). Alongside this however are some very scary and unnerving moments. Poor Joe Creed experiences some terrorfiying encounters. I would consider 'Creed' to be the best of Herbert's more recent books. This is an unusual novel and is a great deal of fun to read. I would wholly recommend this novel.
on 23 March 2007
I felt reading this that I could see the joins in the plot - rather like a Dan Brown novel - you can see the thought process governing the book's structure, and that for me was a let down.

The lead character is great, though. A slimy, smarmy photographer - with, of course, a bad boy's charm - plying his trade in London Town.

The main problem with the book is that it doesn't seem to know what it is exactly. Is it a Horror novel? A thriller? Or maybe even a Comedy? All the elements are there for it to have been anyone of those.

For example: The lead character's son gets kidnapped, then the kid's mother comes to pick him up, so his dad - Joe Creed, the novel's main man - has to come up with an excuse for the kid not being there, right? So he tells his estranged wife that their son has joined the scouts and gone off to camp - this he has to make up on the spot, and gets into a flap when the ex-wife says she'll go and pick him up. This whole scene seems to have been added purely for laughs, but it hardly seemed appropriate under the circumstances, and therefore seemed forced and contrived.

Creed - the character - is well written, and we know just exactly what he's like, but in my little opinion, Herbert makes a huge mistake. Creed is a smoker, and Herbert decides that he will smoke Roll-ups, using Brown licorice fag papers. Sorry - NO WAY! I thought that was wrong from the first time we see Creed doing it, and couldn't work out what was going on. Joe Creed should be smoking Marlboros, and sparking them up with a tatty Zippo - no question.

I think it's a testament to how convincing the character is that this minor detail bothered me so much.

All in all, the book's okay, not my favourite Herbert novel, but the first I have bothered to review.

I think Haunted is the best of his that I've read, by the way.
on 15 September 2013
CREED James Herbert Hardcover 1st Edition 1990 and Kindle Edition

I have always been a great fan of horror genre novels since I started reading them as a boy in the early fifties and over the years have amassed a large collection, mainly paperback copies and I am now replacing many with Kindle Editions. This re-organisation has also given me the chance to revisit books that I have not read for a while and was amazed to discover that I had not re-read most of my early James Herbert collection since the early 1990s. I had collected his new titles each year from first discovering THE FOG and THE RATS in the 1970s and I believe that the first two decades were by far his best work, novels of the late 1990s and after becoming rather market orientated and written to a formula.

CREED is the gruesome rather tongue in cheek tale of a seedy and unscrupulous paparazzi who stumbles by accident upon an underground black magic society going back to the 1920s, and finds himself and his family under threat from things that should have been dead and were not and beings that should not have existed but did. Joe Creed is one of Herbert's memorable anti-heros and man that the reader should not like but never-the-less ends up caring about. The story is well paced with a sense of humour threaded through it's length, which in no way detracts from the spooky and threatening atmosphere of the story.

I had not read this book since I bought it in 1990 and was glad that I visited it again; an excellent story, well told by a master.
on 20 December 1999
One of the first books i've read since school. The book was interesting and hooked me rather quickly. A definite one to read if horror is your thing.
on 8 April 2000
on 1 July 2013
Well this one was a bit of a surprise.
Read the synopsis and thought it looked ok at best.
Being a photographer myself and loving anything paranormal imagine my surprise when not even a chapter in, we find our unlikely hero (if you can call him that) follows the same career path as me and see him delve into an underworld of supernatural creatures on an adventure that has to be finely balanced and kept secret from his work life.
A pretty good story throughout, it's a bit of a rollercoaster ride and some parts I had to go over a couple of times to make sure I was following the story.
The end could have been a bit stronger and it ended a bit abrupt for my liking, not quite the huge finale I was hoping for but all in all a bloody good read and there's a nice little twist in there for good measure....all for 99p a steal of demonic proportions.
I would seriously recommend this book to any James Herbert fan or fan of supernatural horror.
on 18 September 2013
I have loved James Herbert's writing for many years and this book maintains his high standard.

He is a British Icon
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 18 October 2012
Bought this after hearing about this author, read it whilst on holidays. Its a load of absolute rubbish. Firts and last james herbert book.
VINE VOICEon 22 May 2015
Creed is a photographer, stalking out a celebrity funeral when he sees something disturbing. He manages to capture it on film, and this begins a chain of events that will put Creed's life, and those of his loved ones, in danger.

I did enjoy the novel but there are quite a lot of references, contemporary to the time it was written, which make it feel dated. The tone is pulpy rather than frightening; the demonic toilet was particularly enjoyable! It was good, just not great.