Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 December 2014
What a story, what a mind this story has come from. Peter F Hamilton I just wish I had one percent of your creative juices. This book is a monster coming in at over 1100 pages. I read every page, so titles I start to skim pages when the story starts to wain, but this behemoth is brilliant beginning to end. I couldnt believe my luck the other day when more of Hamiltons' books were 99p each on the Kindle deals, the Void series. Cant wait to get stuck into these
on 26 December 2015
A cross between a murder mystery and an alien hunt. The story has many layers that build as it goes along, with character back stories being drip fed in to provide detail at various points, but not too much so you keep guessing. It is long but I never felt it dragged, contrary to some other reviews. It is entertaining but not revolutionary. A good solid book, without being ground-breaking.
on 3 March 2017
As usual Peter F Hamilton delivers a complex and engrossing tale. His inventive imaginings of our future are epic in scale and yet he still weaves a cracking story of intrigue, murder and espionage. Yet another tour de force in his arsenal of Sci-fi greats.
on 15 January 2013
First congratulations to the publisher for setting this to a sensible price for an ebook. £2.40 made buying it a nobrainer. And I'm glad I did. Hamilton is a new author for me and after reading this I will be buying some more. I was a bit daunted at first by the length of this novel. I am not a great lover of epic tomes, but I was pleasently surprised. Hamilton kept my interest all the way through, it flagged a little now and again, and I can't help feel some pruning would have been an improvement, but on the whole it was very enjoyable.
on 28 January 2013
I'm a great fan of Peter F Hamilton, Nights Dawn triology was excellent, Pandoras Star, the stand alone books like Fallen Dragon, I've read them all and loved them.

This book started well, a deviation from his previous work, set in the near future and written as a traditional crime thriller.

As a whole, the book does hang together well and the ending, no spoilers here, caps off the story really well. Only as I was reading it I had the feeling that it takes a lot of time before things really get going. In fact, descriptions, characterisations and crimal deductions aside, nothing much seemed to happen for big chunks of the book. Perhaps this is a deliberate move on Hamilton's part after the intense (enjoyable) mayhem of his conclusion to the Void Trilogy.

Only during the end sequence do things really take off and the Hamilton I know and love comes out of the closet.

I really have mixed feelings on this book; when I finished it I did my usual post-Hamilton thing of putting the Kindle down and reflecting on the people, ideas, emotions, future-history drawn out for me. Just during the middle third of this rather long book I wished there was more happening.

Buy this if you're a Hamilton fan, or like traditional crime thrillers, and remember the end is worth it.
on 13 March 2017
The book sets the scene early on and grabs you, it doesn't let you go until the end. Good pace with well thought out plot lines. Not your typical sci-fi, had a nice element of crime.

After reading this, I'm eager to check out other books by Peter F. Hamilton.
on 6 November 2013
JUST ANOTHER BRILLIANT BOOK BY THE UK BEST SCI_FI AUTHOR. It is a pity that this book is the last of the scifi genre for a while from Mr Hamilton. As ever, his attention to detail, just to the level of not quite explaining the science really makes for a fast flowing story. Whats more delivered over Amazon to my Kindle ( eink ) Brilliant.
on 13 March 2013
Crime, Fantasy, Space and Thriller all in one book. Based on Newcastle of the 25th century this is an absorbing read which can be difficult to put down at times. Even though it is 1,000 + pages long it never gets boring to read. Peter Hamilton switches regularly between different scenarios which keeps things interesting. A must buy for avid readers.
on 21 May 2017
Fantastic novel. Proper page turner, despite being over 1000 pages long. Only one quibble....do Geordies really say "Crap on that" as much as they do in this book?! :)
on 21 May 2013
I liked this book, for lots of reasons, one was the attention to detail regarding streets and pace names, the other, the storyline, I don't want to give too much away, but I liked it. From a tech point of view, also quite interesting especially how people might communicate in the future as well as bio engineering.