on 17 September 2017
Having seen the film I was expecting to enjoy this book but I was deeply disappointed. The title refers to the mother and the child but the reality is the mothers story is dealt with amost perfuncctorily in very short chapters at the start while the son's story is described at enormous and pretty tedious length. If I wanted to know about the politics of the Carter/Reagan era I would look for a proper history book. An adopted child's feeling of beng unwanted and sinful is potentially interesting but played out at excessive length. This book reads like an extended research thesis with fictional bits inserted: no doubt accurate but dull. I gave up two thirds of the way through (67% according to my Kindle) having speed read the last ten chapters and found only one - the visit to Ireland - of any interest.
on 21 May 2017
I bought this having watched the film and it certainly disappoint. I actually cried!
on 12 September 2017
I watched the film which was about Philomena whereas the book is about her son. I really enjoyed it. Lots about how gay men could be in power as long as the didn't advertise it in the 80s & then came HIV/AIDS. We've moved on in the past 30 years?
on 7 August 2017
Very sweet book its a great insightful read, the front cover picture is very indearing.
on 5 June 2017
One of the best books that I have read. Martin Sixsmith is a superb writer.
on 2 July 2017
Great book. If you've seen the film, this has a lot more info
on 8 June 2017
Just reading now, lovely story, well written
on 7 August 2017
good service, a very emotive sad story
on 20 June 2017
A good read, would reccomend
on 14 November 2015
Interesting all through the book.