Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 July 2013
A wonderfully gentle, humorous and entertaining rural drama. It gives a detailed insight into the hard life of a country vet in pre-war England and the author’s love of animals and of the countryside shines through irresistibly. It is wonderfully nostalgic too, reflecting a gentler era though life itself was much harsher. Truly a great read for people of all ages.
on 21 November 2013
I can remember watching the series on TV as a child, so when I came across this book I thought I would give it a try and see if the James Herriot in the book was any different to the one I fondly remembered.

I needn't have had any fears, from the first chapter I was hooked. It is one of those rare books that I found extremely difficult to put down and finished in two sittings.

The books is written in the first person as Herriot recalls many tales, some sad and some so humorous that you will have strange looks as you sit there chuckling out loud. At the beginning of the novel we find Herriot fresh out of veterinary college and on his way for a job interview with Siegfried Farnham. After a somewhat unusual introduction he is offered the job and accepts.

The story takes you back in time to when life although being a lot harder, was also a lot simpler. We meet many colourful characters (in particular Tricky Woo, the spoilt and very rich dog). The descriptive language used is second to none and it is not hard to imagine yourself rising at 3am with Herriot in order to help a cow in labour.

Possibly one of my favourite books ever. I have just ordered the complete collection.
on 28 February 2012
I first bought this book back in the 70s when it was first published but that copy got lost along the way with house moves etc. When I saw it on Amazon I just had to buy it. Great stories told with a wonderful insight and sense of humour.reviewed by Sherrie Lowe, author of Song of the Phoenix
on 5 October 2013
I bought this book after watching old episodes of "All Creatures Great and Small" on the Yesterday channel The television series is just terrific, bringing the characters in the books to life with such excellent acting. Often television and cinema cannot live up to the written word, but this is certainly one exception. And the books themselves? Well, if "If They Could Talk" is anything to go by, these books are just beautifully written, full of the most wonderful country characters, rich with humour, invoking the atmosphere of those post war years. This will definitely not be the last James Herriot book I will buy. (The Kindle version is free of the usual typos which you often see, especially in the free books which I avoid like the plague these days).
on 21 September 2014
Exactly what it says on the tin - an entertaining insight into the life of a rural vet. Like the Herriot books, it is well written with a colourful description of the events portrayed. You are left in no doubt about how hard a rural vet needs to work in order to maintain his client base.
on 13 September 2013
I recently read all of this book to find it enjoyable in so many repects, we'd recently watched the series again and enjoyed thinking oh yeah we read that in the book, It has highs and lows and giggles a many most enjoyable read if your new to James herriot.
on 6 January 2011
I'd forgotten how much fun these books are! great, evocative portraits of yesteryear. great characters, real relish in the writing and descriptions, sigfriend and his brother are hilarious. One word of warning though if you are squeamish - the books are more graphic than I'd remembered - the vet details of what happens to the animals, their insides etc is a bit eye-watering at times!
on 9 January 2015
I remember watching this television series when I was growing up and used to look forward to each episode with cheerful anticipation. I remember the "laugh out loud" stories as if I was watching them yesterday. This is the second book I have read in this series and have thoroughly enjoyed each chapter. Some of the stories were familiar but a lot of them I had forgotten. I have had some real " belly laughs " whilst reading this book and now look forward to reading another in the series.
As I read some of the conversations from the 3 vets in the house I could just hear the t.v. characters speaking. Those characters were chosen well.
If you enjoy a good, clean and entertaining read this book is for you.
on 26 December 2012
I first read the James Herriot stories as a child and really enjoyed them. So when I wanted an easy but fun read I came back to these lovely books.
on 6 June 2013
These James Herriot books are amongst my all time favourites, I would always recommend them for an excellent read. Thanks