on 17 October 2017
Just can't get over the gripping read of Peter James books each one a tail in its self with that underlying tale of what's happening with his wife. I just enjoy them so much, I hate it when I have finished one but love the thought of the next one. I think you must read them in order to enjoy them to there fullest. I have told lots of people about them and they all say they enjoy them too. Looking forward to the next one.
One person found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 24 October 2016
Peter James clearly does his homework when it comes to police procedure. The start of Dead Man's Grip features an almost documentary-like approach to describing a road fatality, which is central to the story and all that follows. It is gruesomely well-done, all too believable and sets in motion a series of killings that then cranks up the pace of the novel. Unlike some writers, James makes the location of his Roy Grace series an integral part of what's going on. Hence, Brighton, Hove, Shoreham and surrounding locations are written about with conviction. The story falls away slightly when some of the action moves to the States, although it becomes apparent in the conclusion just why this plot device was needed. We're back to the usual madcap finale with Dead Man's Grip, although it seems to work okay. James is skilled at setting mood and atmosphere; he is also clearly setting the reader up for more twists and turns with Grace's private life in future instalments. Page-turning stuff.
on 15 October 2015
A young American student is killed in a traffic accident in Brighton. Three vehicles are involved, although none of the driers are directly responsible for his death. The boy's family, 3000 miles away, however, have other ideas.

This story started well, then somewhere in the middle started to run out of steam a little, but then picked up a little towards the end.

The biggest irritation for me was the stubborn and naive female lawyer who despite much advice to the contrary, insisted on doing everything her way, trying single handedly to solve everyones' problems, and causing disaster at every turn. But then, had she not been so idiotic there wouldn’t have been much of a story at all.

I’m a great fan of Peter James and usually give his books five stars. But this one didn’t keep me enthralled like the previous ones have. On the whole though, this was a decent read, and I have to say that for me last three chapters were the best ever and gave me a real giggle.
on 24 September 2014
I have to admit that I found the seventh outing of Detective Superintendent Roy Grace to be rather disappointing and the first indication, in my opinion, of a downward spiral in Peter James's police procedural thrillers set in Brighton. This novel is not nearly as good as the previous ones in the series . In common with other reviewers, I found the plot is be highly unlikely and formulaic. I struggled to complete this book and was way past caring towards the end to such an extent that I gave up on Roy Grace completely for a few years. This was until I decided to dip in again with the 2014 offering: 'Want You Dead' which I bought as an audiobook recently ... and wished I hadn't bothered.

I appreciate that in common with all of the well known crime writers: Peter Robinson, Ian Rankin, P D James, Jo Nesbo etc., Peter James appears to have focussed pretty much exclusively on just one main character: Roy Grace in his case. A reliable product for a ready made fan base is, no doubt, essential for success but that said, there seems to be a tendency with all of these writers to eventually lose the originality, freshness that came with the creative impulse ... and a downward trajectory into recycling -- the same old, same old thing. To my mind, this propensity is particularly noticeable in Peter James's case. Sadly, his Roy Grace novels have become too irritating to read ... or to listen to.

Chris Allen is a Technical Author and writer with the following books available through Amazon:
Reality Shaper: The Quantum Detective
Parallel Lifetimes
The Beam of Interest: Taken by Storm
Hypnotic Tales 2013: Some Light Some Dark
Call of the Void: The Strange Life and Times of a Confused Person: 1
on 6 April 2016
Two reviews in one really. I have been racing through this series of books - choosing to read them every other book. The short chapters mean you can regularly snatch a few minutes to read and I will typically finish these in around 10 days.

The actual crime parts of the story are usually very strong and they are very well researched. Unlike a handful of reviews, I find the personal lives of the characters are an important feature of these books particuarly, but not limited to, Roy Grace himself. I do agree that the details about eye movements and post mortem procedures is unnecessarily repetitive and the girl eating the maltesers non-stop must soon struggle to get through the door. A minor quibble though.

The gripe with this story was with the central character Carly Chase. The potential victim of the crime should elicit your sympathy but this woman was an idiot of the highest order and her trip to the US wasn't worthy of this writer's normally very high levels. The race against time towards the end of the book was solved with a gut instinct that had about as much chance of success as picking the winning lottery numbers, given there was no real reason to suppose the hitman had ever set foot in Brighton prior to this operation.

These books are great value and it survives these grumbles. At least it left us with intrigue regarding Sandy. I look forward to reading about that in what I expect will be a normal 5* successor.
on 5 January 2018
A young American student dies in an road traffic collision in Brighton. His family are connected to the Mafia and his mother wants someone to pay regardless of whether they were directly responsible or not. Roy Grace also has to deal with his partner experiencing complications in her pregnancy which he hopes won’t distract him too much from the investigation. Loving this series of books - looking forward to the next one,
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 July 2015
Really loving the Roy Grace series. This is a very good story, bringing a clever sinister twist to what seems to be an obviously tragic but nevertheless "everyday" accident. These books are all excellent standalone tales, but if you are new to Roy Grace and his world, then I really do urge you to read all the books in order, because behind each excellent story there are many long running background threads which traverse all the books and really bring added depth to the characters.
2 people found this helpful
on 20 November 2016
Like all of Peter James' Roy Grace books (which I've read so far), this is well-written, fast paced and original. Mr James is obviously familiar with Brighton giving his writing a degree of authenticity. The only criticism I have of this book is that Mr James' research seems to have persuaded him that the M11 is close to Brentwood. This error was so glaring that it spoiled my enjoyment - but only slightly. Otherwise a riveting read. Looking forward to more.
on 11 February 2013
Revenge, it is said, is best served cold. But not when it has been prepared in the mind of Peter James and dished up in his penultimate (to date) Roy Grace thriller/police investigation crime novel.
What began as a day of hope and looking forward for three innocents ended in a tragic accident for one that affected the lives of the other two - and a search for a fourth, not only by the cops but a man paid to mete out revenge.
And boy, what a clever, cunning and cool so and so this man is. There is always some troubled soul lurking in the background of a James book but this time he is a bit smarter than usual.
James always weaves several clever threads together that join at the conclusion yet there is always something left over as a legacy to be taken forward to the next in the series.
The Roy Grace investigations link together nicely as a series but also work well as stand alone books in their own right. And when it comes to getting inside the heads and operational methods of the police you can rely on this author to get his facts right.
Anyone having read the earlier books in this series will know all about Grace's missing wife, Sandy. Well, he still hasn't heard anything about her. I'll say no more.
on 7 August 2015
My problem is that I am reading this excellent series in order, gradually working my way though them. I find I cannot remember which murder or series of murders happened in which book! For me, the 'bigger picture' of Glenn's marriage breakup, the ongoing mystery of Sandy and the developing love affair with Cleo are somehow more important than the individual 'episode' represented by an individual book. I definitely like them and I do think it is important to read the whole series in order.