Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

Firstly a warning, the print in this book may be too small for some, also the print is in red which I know that some people find hard to read. Barring that this is a nice little hardback of Carol Ann Duffy's poem, Mrs Scrooge, beautifully illustrated throughout by Posy Simmonds.

The poem is the tale of Mrs Scrooge, and obviously is a modern twist on the original 'A Christmas Carol' by Dickens. Mrs Scrooge lives alone with her cat Catchit, since her husband died, and is visited by the ghost of Christmas past, present and future. Mrs Scrooge is a real little greenie, and recycles, doesn't use plastic bags, etc.

This is a nice little book that would be ideal for a stocking filler or extra present.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 6 December 2015
3.5 stars

I'm a sucker for trying updates and retellings of classics. And a 20-minute poem based on A Christmas Carol? Definitely.

I've enjoyed Duffy's poems before, and love Simmonds' artwork - the two work well together here.

The ecological angle is an intriguing one - here Mrs Scrooge is the widow of Scrooge, and is a bit of an eco-warrior, trying to convert people to her cause. She is shown the past, present and future of her life and the usual Christmas ending occurs.

I liked the idea, I liked the language and eco-talk, but I didn't really see how it all fit with her needing to see any error of her ways or needing redemption - personally I agreed with a lot of her views! And didn't see any change in her at the end.

A lovely quick read, though, and a good stocking filler for fans of either author or illustrator, but I didin't really see that the story fit the Dickens original.
on 7 December 2012
I loved this inventive poem which took Dickens' wellloved novel a step further into the future. Carol Duffy brings a new take on the theme, using her wry, dry humour to engage the reader. The drawings are a delight.
on 7 December 2015
strange very strange.I always pre-read the books I buy for children and I don't know who this is suitable for.As stated by another reviewer the reader needs to know the Dickens version well.I think I will barter it in the hope of finding a more appreciative reader than myself.
on 4 February 2010
Duffy makes greenish virtue out of scrooge-like tendencies. Mostly charming and funny without hectoring.
on 27 June 2015
Love the physical size of the book. This book isn't for young children as the reader needs to have some background information to appreciate it. As an adult, I loved it.
on 29 April 2010
Bought for a friend's grandchildren- they thought it so good- recommend others to buy it.
on 28 December 2015
On first impression this looks like a book for youngish children, it was bought as a present from "Santa" for my 6 year old daughter so I had no option but to read it to her. I am all for taking care of the planet and getting this message across to the younger generation but quite frankly this was nothing more than left wing propaganda! How chickens are killed and the plight of stranded polar bears are not my idea of a heart warming Christmas tale. This book is certainly not suitable for young children but it is packaged as if it is so I really don't know who it is directed at. I think the message could have been put across in a far softer way. Very disappointed.
on 2 February 2017
I bought several of these small books for my Green friends, who all loved it. It is an unusual little book to dip into and it doesn't have to be Christmas to be meaningful.
on 21 December 2013
A eat little book, attractive with lovely pictures but this is not Duffy's best by far, so I was quite disappointed by it.