Customer reviews

Love Poems
Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 16 February 2012
This is a compilation of some of the most popular love poetry of Carol Ann Duffy. It includes the wonderful "Warming her Pearls", "Mrs Lazarus", and "Hour". The poems are taken from Selling Manhattan,The Other Country,New Selected Poems,Mean Time,The World's Wife,Feminine Gospels,Rapture, and The Bees. If you are looking for a poem to write to a Valentine, then this would be a good choice. But this is a book both of love poems, and poems about the hurt which remains when love has left the building, leaving the shells of people behind, such as "Disgrace" or "Adultery".

It is a book worth getting. The poems are excellent, and you could spend hours chewing over the words and phrases in some of the poems.
on 28 June 2010
After attending a reading by the author at The Royal Exchange in Manchester, you simply could not fail to fall in love with the Passion and humour contained within. Each poem was placed into its context and was delivered complete with everything the author intended. This not only inspires you to read more of her work, but helps you understand her very clever perspectives. Fabulous!
VINE VOICEon 15 January 2011
I love Carol Ann Duffy and was not disapointed in anyway with this collection of poems even though I already have most of them in other books its a lovely read to have them all together. If you enjoy her work and love to spend an hour relaxing witha volume then buy this book its not gushy love its real raw emotional love,
on 12 July 2016
OK, so its true to say that I prefer my poetry read to me rather than by me (no big secret to regular readers of Pen and Paper I know) and of all the poetry out there love poems are probably way up there as my least favourite. And then there's the fact that I don't generally rate Poet Laureate, Carol Ann Duffy's poetry BUT, taken as a whole, I actually found myself quite enjoying this collection - some poems more than others of course.

A collection from works already published. I'm guessing romance poetry afficionados and perhaps fans of the author may well already have copies of the various poems even if they aren't all in one volume like this. However for those wishing a nice selection of varied love poems you could do worse than this selection of 34 poems.

Copyright: Tracy Terry @ Pen and Paper
on 13 March 2010
I bought this book because I had read the poem Valentine and loved it. This book only has poems with the theme of love or relationships. It's brilliant, has lots of poems, and each poem has a different theme/emotion to it. It's hardback and the cover is great as well so it would make a good present.
on 20 February 2014
Quick dispatch, great quality. No damages on the item. I absolutely love this book, it contains one of my favorite poems, Valentine.
on 9 February 2013
I am not very fond of Carol Ann Duffy but am going to hear her read her peoms at the Guardian next week - they are also part of my AS studies. I think that hearing her read her poems will open a new was of understanding and feeling about them for me then I will enjoy having her book much more.
on 14 May 2016
Extremely moving words of poetry and how they SPECIFIC TITLES are made to follow each other'
But for me it is the duality of -PAIN for some,JOY for other ,especially .
The section " THE WORLD 's WIVES ' where -Carol Ann was addressing ME
on 12 November 2013
This is such a beautiful book I had just finished reading The fools poetry Stories Of You and i now have the bug for poetry. This book would make a great present for someone special in your life.
on 17 September 2015
Another brilliant collection from the literary genius that is Duffy. This has a good selection from her various works, providing a look at different types of love from many different angles.