Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 June 2006
These stories are miracles, they are like visiting angels. Jackie Kay writes about the saddest, most awful times in relationship/friendship break-ups and their desolate aftermaths, so wonderfully that each sentence is hard to let go of. Funny, outrageous, intimate, a joy to read.
on 8 January 2011
These are stories of love and relationships, which most readers could identify with in some way. Each story is unique, but the multifaceted nature of love is wryly observed whether it's between a mother and daughter, pensioner husbands and wives, lesbian couples about to break up or strangers who meet on a night train. The characters have very different voices and that makes reading this book all the more refreshing, it reminds me of The Thing Around Your Neck.

My own favourite story is the surreal "My Daughter the Fox", which has Kafka-esque undertones, but could also be a metaphor to touch the soul of anyone with a wild teenager still at home.The descriptions are sometimes poetic, lucid, evocative but never laboured. There is no padding in these stories, each one grabs you from the opening line and holds on until the (sometimes abrupt) ending.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 23 October 2012
In these twelve short stories Jackie Kay examines love from various angles, whether mutual, obsessive, maternal, or lost. I knew I was going to enjoy this collection from the first sentence of the first story: "It is not so much that we are splitting up that is really worrying me, it is the fact that she keeps quoting Martin Amis." What follows is a funny, but also very poignant story about the break-up of a long-term relationship which ends with a line just as good as the opening.

In other stories we meet the same humour and poignancy as Kay inhabits a variety of characters, all with distinctive voices and outlooks. I particularly enjoyed 'Not the Queen', about a Glaswegian woman who to her dismay is the spitting image of her majesty, 'My Daughter the Fox', an account of the fierce love a mother feels for her vulpine daughter, and 'The Mirrored Twins' in which two lovers go on a weekend climbing trip. In this last story Kay renders the love these men feel for each other so joyously that, despite growing signs of foreboding, one can't help but feel elated.
on 8 September 2011
I wanted something to dip in and out off and Jackie Kay comes up trumps every time. Beautifully written,with her oh so witty undertones. A great read or should I say great reads!
on 25 January 2013
While you're reading this, you will be there! It's an excellent collection of short stories, well written, engaging, and very entertaining.
on 1 March 2013
I LOVED THE BOOK AND ITS STATE. VERY CLEAN AND NEW, AND WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR BASICALLY FOR MY STUDY.
on 4 May 2015
Very interesting and thought provoking short stories. Good seller too.