Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 June 2017
An incredible piece of work! One of my very favourite books.
on 28 June 2017
A quieter story from Cormac bit still rocks the world with its descriptions of nature and landscape.
on 12 February 2006
I have loved all the Cormac McCarthy books I've read but this is my favourite.
Like all his books this is a bleak, lonesome tale that inhabits you. Despite its elegaic sadness there is humour and a core human warmth. I read this book almost two years ago and I still miss the key characters.
I urge you to read this book!
on 28 June 2010
My daughter keeps asking me about my favourite things - be it colour, food, place - and I always have to tell her that I really can't choose. But when it comes to my favourite book, there is no hesitation: Suttree. Even more so than The Road (which I re-read annually), Outer Dark, or The Crossing, Suttree is the one book I would take with me if I had to abandon every material possession I own. Everything you need is in there, especially if you are a male of a certain age with a host of unanswered questions about the world. Many of the alleged classics of literature have bored me but this book never fails to surprise and challenge me, which is what all the great works of art that have endured must do. It will be read in 100 years time by the last remnants of humanity sat in the smouldering ashes, thumbing the charred pages and holding their copy with the reverence previously reserved for the Bible. Do not hesitate to order your copy now.
on 7 October 2016
Love the very poetic style of writing but am finding it quite challenging. Lovely accents of characters and language and paints a vivid picture of lives of poverty and hardships of the day. Am only half way through but very interesting so far.
on 25 May 2017
How can one praise a master of his art. Perhaps we should not try and review, but instead say "thank you". Not just for this one but for so many horrific, real, provocative and entertaining experiences each McCarthy book brings in its own unique way.
Humanity laid bare. A wonderful read
on 18 December 2011
I failed in my first attempt at reading Suttree, I'm not sure why. Perhaps it was my own state of mind at the time - I found it depressing. But I'd read all of McCarthy's other work and I picked up Suttree again after a two-year break.

In this novel, more than any of his others, McCarthy seems to work in the way a music composer does. McCarthy's hook, his chorus, is the Tennessee River. Again and again he describes it in all its seasons and moods to the extent I found it to be the main character - bewitching Suttree too, I think. He seems always drawn back to the river's indiscriminate flow as though it is the thread of life itself. Sometimes it provides him with a living, other times it threatens, impersonally, to freeze him to death or suck him under. The river delivers him friends and enemies then moves remorselessly on.

Suttree prefers the daily uncertainty of not knowing whether he will eat, freeze, fry, sink, be attacked, seduced, befriended or bereaved to the standard 'security' most of us recognise. We call it our life though, ironically, Suttree, who never existed, knows better than any what it means to live.
on 4 October 2009
Believe me, this is Cormac's best novel. Better than Blood Meridian; better than The Road; better than No Country, etc. etc. Why do I say this? Well, this has a density that his other books don't have. And they're wonderful works, wonderfully written and with Something To Say. But this is special. His masterpiece. It seems it took him something like 30 years to write it. It shows. It's a prose poem, it's devastatingly funny at moments, it's often devastatingly tragic, and it has moments of pure poetry. The setting is perfectly captured; you're there, you can smell the Tennessee river and see colors and feel the heat or the cold of the days that Cornelius Suttree spends in McAnally Flats with the other misfits who manage to survive (not always) in the most destitute part of Knoxville. But it is not just a belated realistc book; it's a book that manages to tell a story by omitting a lot, and it's also another version of a very old myth, that of the Fisher King. And yeah, it's full of Eliot's Waste Land.
on 27 March 2010
I have waited nearly a year to write this review. I have felt totally inadequate when trying to express an opinion of this book that potential readers might find useful. Previous reviewers have pretty much said it all. There was one particularly useful comment. It said, 'this book inhabits you'. It absolutely does.
The book isn't an easy holiday type read, I made extensive use of my new electronic dictonary. There were pages I read three times to try and better understand what I was reading. There is no real plot and it is not possibe to predict where things are going. The writing style takes getting used to as the author seems to make no consession to the reader. Sink or swim.
But, but, but do not let any of these things get in your way of purhasing this book now. Every ounce of effort you pour into this book will be rewarded in spades. It seeps down deep and touches your soul, it leaves its essence in your mind and heart and you will never, ever be released from its spell. There will be times when you will suddenly start and awake from your reading and wonder what magic was that, I was just there, I could see, smell, hear the sounds...
The book haunts my dreams, it stalks my daytime reveries. But oh, I do go on. Buy the book now, I do not doubt that you too will rage about the genius of this work.