Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 May 2014
An easy, interesting read but a bit episodic - it jumps form subject to subject with no apparent connecting narrative or theme.
on 27 January 2013
A very interesting book and very good value for money. I have learnt so much and Andrew Marrs makes it really interesting.
on 30 August 2014
No matter how much history you know, you will learn something. And if you don't know much, this is a great introduction.
on 5 February 2013
i just thought it was one of the best booked ive ever read amazing learnt a lot !!! wanna get the first part now
on 13 April 2014
This was bought on behalf of my son.
So I have no comment, but he was very pleased with his purchase
on 27 February 2015
Interesting if somewhat biased views expressed but then he wasn't born and didn't live through the era.
on 2 January 2010
Excellent service at a particularly dificult time of the year (i.e in the run up to Xmas)for delivery.
on 19 April 2013
This is a Brilliant book. I was sad when I came to the last page and there was no more to read.
on 25 September 2010
brought for my mother as she enjoyed andrew marrs series
arrive promt after odering
VINE VOICEon 20 December 2013
Let me start by saying I'm not a regular book reviewer, but I am an historian, so this review will be focused on three main points. Firstly, this is a deeply insightful book covering a period typically glanced over in favour of military exploits. Secondly Andrew Marr is transparent in is liking/disliking of certain topics making the overall read a switch between engaging narrative and university lecture. But what is most unforgivable is his passive aggressive, belittling of Winston Churchill, by page 412 is esculate to propaganda proportions and is quite simply a bridge too far. Despite Churchill's failings he was by far the most capable Britain to lead the country through the darkest days this isle has ever encountered. I wonder what would have happened had the likes of Mr Marr been in charge? This subtext is a significant disappointment in an otherwise informative read.