on 18 November 2017
Before reading Mostly Harmless, the fifth, and last, book in the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy “trilogy”, I looked at some reviews written by other readers. Many of them were negative. Douglas Adams was depressed when he wrote it. The ending was terrible. And so on.

Personally, I thought this was a great book. In saying that I refer you to the following paragraph from Mostly Harmless:

“We live in strange times. We also live in strange places: each in a universe of our own. The people with whom we populate our universes are the shadows of whole other universes intersecting with our own.”

We see the truth of this statement every day on the review pages of Amazon and Goodreads. People seem to look out on the same universe. However, there's a clue to the reality of multiple dimensions in the fact that good books in one universe are bad in another. Mostly Harmless takes - for me at least - a thrilling trip through alternative universes.

Mostly Harmless begins and ends with the story of some interstellar explorers called the Grebulons. A meteorite damages their ship, resulting in the loss of all stored memories. The crew know they set out to monitor something, but have no idea what. By chance, they end up on a planet in the outer reaches of Earth’s solar system monitoring the only material they can find to monitor - TV shows beaming out from Earth. Cagney and Lacey and M*A*S*H seem to be particular favourites. The Grebulons’ situation contrasts with that of the Vogons who hove into view as the book comes to its conclusion. The Vogons know exactly what their purpose in life is. If you compare the clear, small-minded and unpleasant purpose of the Vogons, with the benign TV watching aimlessness of memory-deprived Grebulons, things look different vis-a-vis the aimless TV viewing. The best lack all conviction; the worst are full of passionate intensity, as Yeats would have said. It’s like there’s an alternative universe where casual TV watching is a deeply meaningful activity, as is reading books that some people think are not very good.

I send this message from my universe to yours - Mostly Harmless is a great book.
2 people found this helpful
on 22 January 2010
I've been a fan of Douglas Adams for over 25 years after discovering the origional trilogy whilst holidaying in Bulgaria....hand towel included.
I have read all the books time and time again and still love them so I thought I would give the audio books ago. Martin Freeman is great even if he does seem to spend the first couple of CD's warming up to the role of storey teller. I have them all downloaded to my PC, phone and ipod so when ever a boring 5 minutes or couple of hours present themselves I can plug in and smile may through a couple of chapters or more.
Buy all of them and enjoy them again and again even if its just so you can sit there in silence grinning like a loon on the rush hour train to work, making everybody else slightly nervous around you as no one knows how to deal with someone smiling on a train that time of the morning. Who knows you may end up with a couple of seats to yourself!!!!!!!! :)
on 12 September 2015
I was very surprised at this book. The fourth book in this series was such a disappointment that I was not holding out much hope for this one. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the renewed level of cleverness that Douglas Adams was able to weave into the plot. It wraps up the series pretty nicely as the characters come full circle. There are recognisable characters and creatures from earlier in the series and I feel like this book was a decent note to end the series on. That being said, it is in no way as good as the first two or three and I would only recommend that you read this if you have read the travesty that is the fourth book and want to renew your faith in the series.
One person found this helpful
on 12 January 2018
Well, this was one way of wrapping up the trilogy. I have long been a fan of this tale but to my shame only recently discovered the existence of this book. For those of you that know, know. For those of you that don't, it's time to read this.
on 26 May 2017
Part of the "hoitchhikers guide to the galaxy" series.not quite as good as the others, Adams see to be struggling to be funny. But nevertheless a good read/
on 4 February 2015
Douglas Adams created a group of characters which have gone on to become a cult. I've read the books, listened to the Radio series (on CD), watched the TV series ( not very good ), went to the cinema to see the film and still found Adams' work to be fresh today as it was all those year's ago.
on 20 September 2013
I've really enjoyed the Hitchhikers series, and this was a pleasant enough end to the 'trilogy'. It doesn't even come close to the brilliance of the earlier books, which is why it doesn't score higher, but if you've read and enjoyed the previous titles there's nothing to fear here. Hovered between a 3 and 4 star rating
One person found this helpful
on 10 May 2017
Excellent conclusion to the 5-part trilogy. But **spoiler alert** This edition contains a foreword that alludes to the ending and it doesn't take a genius to work through the subtlety and guess how things end up. So just turn straight to the story and enjoy the late Douglas Adam's incredibly boundless imagination and endless fun.
on 9 April 2018
Excellent book, as expected.
on 4 June 2013
Due to: editorial constraints, legal issues, focus groups, the committee for political correctness and religious tolerance,,,, the 640 page review I wrote for this book containing academic wit and trans-tertiary verbosity of the highest quality has been cut to the following: Mostly harmless.

He gets a star off for having died before writing the follow-up.