on 18 October 2017
If you don't know this series of five books in the trilogy (yes, that's deliberate) then you should get it and make up for your lack of literary education ;-) Absolutely fantastic. If you saw the film, forget it, it's too far away from the text. Watch (or listen to - it was written for radio originally) the BBC's series which covers most of the first 2 books. You'll get the genuine image in your head as you read!
on 15 February 2018
I've been long tormented by the presence of a very bright younger colleague who has never read Adams' work, and hence has failed to pick up on various references back to HHGTG - particularly that the bureaucrats in our organisation are directly descended from the Vogons, and that the marketing and finance departments are a loving homage to Megadodo Publications of Ursa Minor.

He was unmoved by the threat of having this book added to his annual objectives, so I bought the book for him, and have promised that there'll be a test at the end of term.
on 7 October 2017
This review is for the current (2017) ebook edition.

A splendidly funny and silly book, quite a successful novelisation of the Radio Series.

Note that the extracts from the archives come right at the end of Chapter 35, and are interesting, especially the fax from Douglas to the American script editor, explaining why some things shouldn't be changed. For some reason, they're not listed in the table of contents.
on 15 February 2018
There are already 5 prologues in this book which provide a wonderful insight into all five of the books of the trilogy of five by the Magnificent Douglas Adams which will provide a better insight into the five books better than I could ever 'review' them here especially as they had known him personally themselves too. But I can without a shadow of a doubt say that this series of books are one of the best that I have ever read and as long as you can get behind the unique wonderful world of Mr Adams and his highly entertaining style of writing then there is no doubt in my mind at all that you will enjoy this very much as many millions have done so before you.

There is a reason that this was a best-seller in many countries and many languages and through reading this along with the antics of Ford, Arthur, Tricia and others you will understand exactly why and no doubt be swept away by a rollercoaster of planets in a world never before uncovered.

The only thing that makes me sad now is that there aren't more books and Mr Adams is no longer with us. I will never have the chance to explore his magnificent world further other than where my own imagination would lead me, but after reading these books it somewhat feels like that maybe that's what he wanted.

Thank you Douglas Adams for all the joys and imaginations your books have brought me.
on 19 February 2018
As someone who listened to the radio version in the early 80’s on a quality sound system, I’ve never heard a better produced piece of entertainment. The storyline, the casting, the sound effects, all go to create one of the classic listening experiences. When I saw this on Audible, I had to get it. I listened to it while at work, on headphones and once again found myself laughing out loud. Despite knowing everything that was coming, I still couldn’t hold back.
If you know HHGTTG, you know that the radio version is the original and best. Don’t settle for anything else!
on 6 October 2015
I don't know if you're playing the same guessing game as me. Let's see. I had read all the Hitchhiker books. I had read all the Dirk Gently books. I had read Salmon of Doubt and The Meaning of Liff. I had read the biographies and listened to the radio shows. I had watched the Hitchhiker movie and the Dirk Gently series. I thought I was all out of Adams and then I found out about this book. Only, you know, it was a travel book. A possibly environmentally preachy travel book. Which made me start guessing. Did I go for it and hope or did I just wait for another rewritten Adams Dr Who script and pray for more Dirk Gently on TV? In the end I went for it. Do I regret it? Nope. This book is sheer brilliance. It's Douglas at his best. The wit and imagination are there and they manage to capture this world as well as any of the ones he created himself. It's climbing the top of my favourite ever books list and it's not stopping yet. If you are Douglas Adams fan you should own this. In fact you already might. In, which case, carry on. Every time I see this sitting on my bookshelf I thank my weak willpower that I bought it.
on 5 March 2018
What can I say... beautifully written books, tapping directly into the brain of arguably one of the best sci fi writers of all time. The well written comedy in this trilogy (I know, I know) far from detracts from the actual science or sci fi that is written in this book. Yes it’s all very far fetched, it actually it could also exist, after all the universe is a pretty big place. The book trump the movie in every way and more importantly it is so well written and descriptive it encourages your brain to build its own interpretation of the world Adams creates in the text. A fantastic adventure and one that I was sad ended. There is also a leather bound version out there which is amazing. So long and...... Na, I’m Not gonna say it ><(((">
on 16 October 2016
I watched the movie first and loved it so decided to read this. It starts off similar but greatly changes about halfway through. You get a different sense of the characters and what they're like; their relationships with eachother are different too. I am not used to the writing style of Mr Adams so I did reread some passages here and there to get a grasp of what it was trying to say. It is a book that makes you reflect a lot and think "what if" for a lot of situations. I thoroughly enjoyed it and am int he process of reading the next book in the series.
on 3 December 2017
I read the original trilogy when there were only four books. I bought the whole trilogy (now with extra fifth book) as I hadn't read 'Mostly Harmless'. They remain amazingly readable books. However, I thought Doug was just phoning it in for 'Mostly Harmless'. Hence 4 stars. However, if you were to stop at the end of 'So Long and Thanks for All the Fish', you will have a five star read, but at the four star price.
on 11 May 2014
A book about the extinction of species could have been negative in many ways - it could have been sad or pessimistic about all creatures who no longer exist. It could have taken the subject too seriously.

Instead we are presented with an entertaining travelogue, as a science fiction comedy author and a scientist attempt to travel the world to see a number of species on the brink.

In many ways they are an ideal combination - Douglas presents their experiences in his own, entertaining writing style, dealing not just with the animals themselves, but the trials and tribulations of getting to see them, and the people they meet along the way. Mark Carwardine is obviously passionate about animals and fills in the blanks of some of the knowledge that Douglas does not possess.

Reading it gives you a bit of the feeling of when you go travelling yourself, but most of us probably wouldn't get to go and see the rare and exotic species this species manage to.

I saw the recent series in which Mark Carwardine and Stephen Fry went back to revisit the animals, so I know that some of them have sadly become extinct now. The only extra thing I would have liked to see would be an update on which ones have succeeded, but failing that I would recommend the reader to watch the Stephen Fry series next and find out for themselves.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse