on 22 June 2009
The Elephant Whisperer: Learning About Life, Loyalty and Freedom From a Remarkable Herd of Elephants

I have read many, many books in my time but none as good as this one. I can't say how often I realised that I was holding my breath waiting for the outcome of certain events. At times the book made me laugh out loud and also brought a tear to my eye. If you are a lover of Elephants this is a must read but also the people involved in the Reserve are rather nice and it's interesting to read how events affect them.

The herd of Elephants are fantastic but I also learned about other African Wildlife which I didn't know much about but found equally as interesting.

I couldn't put the book down but didn't want to get to the end either. I will definitely read it again and am hoping for an update with another book soon! I will miss my daily visits with Nana and her wonderful family.
11 Comment| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 December 2014
This is a nice, safe easy read. The writing style annoyed me at first, but it either got easier to read or I got used to it. The insights into elephant behaviour was absolutely fascinating. The book focused on the elephants mainly, but also other aspects of his life (his relationships with his dogs, wife, other workers). I would have either preferred more of on insight into this (as he is clearly a completely fascinating man, despite writing about himself quite modestly) or more of a focus on the elephant behaviour, but it just seemed to cover both in not enough detail. It has left me totally intrigued by elephants and keen to discover more about these fascinating animals. This is not a science based book, but he is very clear on that from the start.
on 20 March 2013
What a heart warming and heart breaking book ! I couldnt put it down once I had started it. It follows the authors lfe as he tries to settle in a herd of rogue elephants who would have been put down if he hadnt agreed to take them. No pressure then. I found myself holding my breath and trying to read quickly to find out what was going to happen next. I admit to blinking back the tears on a couple of occasions , this book is an eye opener to the sometimes cruel and savage world we live in . Well worth the money I paid for it.
on 27 April 2017
Fabulous true story. |If you love south Africa as I do and animals this is the book for you. Sad in parts, funny and very real.
on 26 November 2014
I adore elephants. I have seen them in a rescue centre, seen them being fed and washing themselves and having fun. If you love animals, I recommend this book. I greatly admire Lawrence Anthony for his understanding of wild animals and for rescuing and looking out for them.
on 27 April 2017
Fantastic read
on 9 April 2017
Loved it!
on 16 May 2017
Excellent
on 8 November 2012
I really enjoyed reading this book and learning so many wonderful, amazing and interesting facts about elephants .... the famous saying "An elephant never forgets", is definitely proved true in this book.
on 14 November 2014
Wonderful book - didn't want it to end. I feel the title doesn't do the book justice and may put some people off. It's full of adventure and excitement and is like watching a brilliant film. My first 5-star review ever.