on 6 February 2017
What an emotive, interesting and compassionate book! Written by a Rabbi who had experienced the heart wrenching loss of a child to progeria. This book which uses a belief in God as a backdrop to understanding why bad things happen to good people - can be related to many other philosophies of life - such as mine which is Buddhism. Harold Kushner introduces a different way of interpreting awful things and suggests that God is not resposnible for the bad things but that his presence is there to support when bad things happen, versus the ideology of 'God must have need your dad more than you did', or a punishing God for misdeeds - such as 'my daughter is gravely ill because I haven't been to synagogue for 5 years'. I really recommend this book.
6 people found this helpful
on 8 April 2018
One of the questions that seem so,difficult to answer is why do bad things happen to good people and it’s flip side; why do good things happen to bad people. This classic book takes you on a journey through this and tried to not just answer the question but to offer comfort and a foundation that you can turn to when things are bad. I first bought this book a number of years ago and when I couldn’t find my copy recently, bought it again. I had forgotten just how thought provoking and comforting this book was. Really worth adding to your library
on 2 January 2018
My wife died from cancer 4 weeks ago. Grieving will take a long time, that is plain, and while the sadness & loss will obviously never leave, a new precious life has to be forged and lived to the full. Not to do so would be an insult to the happiest 32 years of our lives. It is unbelievably so hard but this book has helped with the start. Thank you Rabbi Kushner
2 people found this helpful
on 19 December 2014
After having loss of a baby, my grandmother and partner then nearly dying myself within 4 weeks this year, I started to feel cursed and a heavy fog. I bought this book searching for meaning.

This book has really made a difference and is equally meaningful whether you have religion or not.

The author having suffered loss of a child does not make excuses, just his own interpretation of things that have happened and how to move on. I have gone on to read other books as a result of this and it was really frank and heartfelt.

Recommended for anyone suffering in life.
3 people found this helpful
on 23 August 2016
Bought a kindle version of this book that I have borrowed and re-borrowed from our local library. I decided to make the plunge and actually buy a kindle version of the book so that I can always have a copy with me. Having had a really hard time six years ago I can't say how helpful I've found Harold Kushner's book and the poem at the end.
on 7 December 2014
I purchased this book for a dear friend who was still struggling with the loss of one of her relations. I myself had read it years ago, and loved it. Beautifully written and thought provoking.... this book will make you look at Grief and Loss through different eyes. I have now bought it for two people who have lost loved ones, and it has become a tradition for me to send it to people that I love who are looking for solace. A beautiful, special little book.
on 30 September 2014
Thank you Rabbi Kushner. I read this book years ago and again just recently. The book wrestles with perhaps the worst tragedy a person can experience, the loss of a child. How you wrote this book I don't know, but your honesty was vital to the project. It is a great book born out of pain but of great benefit to others--and perhaps to Rabbi Kushner himself.
on 1 April 2016
This book give an alternative to the understanding of faith and whether in deed God does have a master plan for each and everyone of us. It is worth reading as the author gives a clear point as whether faith is valued more for material gain rather than finding out the truth about our short comings and disullusion when God don't work things out to our expection
on 21 September 2017
Harold kushner did his son proud. In writing this book. It is so full of advice for those who are grieving for a lost one. We always look for someone to blame when bad things happen to good people, in fact bad things happen to bad people too. To quote a famous saying, 'a time to be born, a time to die'. A really well written book, told in plain speaking English.
on 9 January 2018
Extremely thought provoking and having a faith personally helps to understand what the Author is trying to say.
We can’t blame God for everything as the Author says, hard though that may be to accept! but there are other things
we can do to help ourselves and others going through a tough time. Well worth a read.