on 19 February 2001
Meaning this is one you are going to have to read - MUST READ - for yourself. Like a great many people probably will I chose to read this because I love Anne Rice's work - the author's mother - though I would like to thank the other reviewers; without their comments I might have waited, for the paperback for example, and what a crime that would have been. I wanted to see if he had inherited his mother's talent. He most certainly has, though with an undoubtable style of his own.
How can someone so young have such insight? If you've ever been victimised or bullied (or have been the perpetrator) this is how it feels, no matter what the cause or reason.
It has been a long time since a book made me cry, or haunted me. I read it in 3 days, though would have read it in 2 - 1! - time permitting. I hated having to put it down. Quite simply you become immersed in the characters and I was desperate for Stephen. To find out why you'll just have to read the book yourself... This is one young author who richly deserves support and admiration.
on 28 August 2000
this is the most amazing, hypnotising and emotional book i have read. ever! you don't have to be a Rice fan (either Christopher or Anne)to enjoy it.
i started it in the afternoon and stayed up all night to read and i literally couldn't put it down. the characters were so real i could practically reach out and touch them. anyone who has ever lost friendship, been rejected by people who barely know you, or felt different will relate to the emotions and events in this book. coming to the dinner table i had been so absorbed that i couldn't understand why everyone was acting so normally, i wanted to know why they weren't as upset by the events as i was!
i laughed, i cried, i wanted to reach out, wrap stephen in a hug and take his pain away...
everyone should read this book. for understanding, for help or for a connection to a world that you existed and that never knew was universal.
As stephen finds out: being a 'freak', you have a deeper understanding and connection to the world and people.
on 2 July 2002
In many ways this is a book that needs to be read twice, because in the first run through it is easy to mistake this for a great book. The convoluted prose has much to hide. It is in the second reading that the errors glare at you from the page.
This is an ambitious book for someone so young - maybe too ambitious. I came away with the feeling that it remains largely unfinished and that it would have benefited from further editing. There are few surprises towards the end and the character of Stephen is not allowed to develop in his own right. Rather then standing around waiting for the world to wake up to how cruel it is and longing for someone to rescue him, I would like to have seen him recognise his own strengths and weaknesses and learn from them. In the end even the 'mystery' falls flat.
It's a fair read, not a brilliant one, though the author undoubtedly has the capacity to be a great writer - one day!
on 28 February 2001
I enjoyed this book immensely. Great storyline, wonderful characters. It somewhat reminded me of Donna Tartt's Secret History, which is my all time favorite. Find out for yourself how a young author can get you hooked. I guess having literary parents helps.
on 26 May 2001
I got this book after it was recommended from a friend and then, when it arrived, i left it for a day or two. Big mistake. I read it all at once, without stopping. Completely compelled with the twists and turns, and the 'no, that can't happen!' parts of the story.
I got towards the end and was wanting to know what happened so badly, but also wanting not to read anymore, not wanting it to end.
The characters are well described, allowing me to picture every scene in the book. I had hopes of several endings, and like others thought this story would simply revolve around one kid coming out, and lots of angst following. But wrong, you get to know much more than one character, and get to love/hate many of them.
It's a rollercoaster of a story and should not be missed!
Adam.
on 3 June 2014
I ordered this book for my birthday and the moment it came though the post I immediately read it.
Like Night Before Day, this was a book I have read numerous times and never get bored of the more I read it.

I have to say I was very impressed with Rice's writing and his depiction of life in high school, or secondary school in my case,
was very accurate in the way teenagers react to their peers who are different from themselves. I was also impressed with Rice's talent as a writer, the way he created the characters, the plots the twists while I was reading this book by the end it left me stunned with the ending to the point it left me wanting more.

This is one book I would recommend to anyone who hasn't read or heard of Christopher Rice.
on 8 July 2013
I was pleasantly surprised by this book from Christopher Rice (he obviously takes after his famous mother, Anne). I enjopyed the story line and the risks that the author took in order to cover the "gay" aspects of this story. I especially liked the fact that he did not step away from revealing that the two main characters were in fact half brothers. By the time you read to the end this was obvious...it would have been a shame if he had bowed to pressure and not gone there!
on 13 November 2000
The reason I read this book is because I am a fan of the author's mother, Anne Rice. I read this book in two days and was blown away. This is an intriguing and deeply compelling mystery thriller about four friends living in the city of New Orleans. The writing is beautiful, the characters well drawn and for a first time author this is a must-read.
on 23 August 2013
Read this book first years ago, and have been eagerly awaiting its kindle release.

The story of four children, and their path through to adulthood is written so beautifully and so heartfelt.

This is like a fairytale in the way that it is written.

I can't do this book justice just buy it and settle down and enjoy it.
on 10 October 2013
First Christopher Rice book that I have read and I loved it, this writer is on par with his famous mother. Don't expect any similaritoes in stories though, there is no vampires or ghouls in this....just great writing.