Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 March 2013
I guess that I have to admit that I am hooked on Peter Robinson’s books about DCI Alan Banks. I cannot claim that these are formula books because they do not give a clue to even the most voracious reader of the DCI Banks books as to how the plot will turn out.

An accountant who is described by friend and family alike as bordering upon boring, is murdered in the opening pages of this book. Who would want to kill him? The murder was not a friendly; bob’s your uncle type of murder either. It was obviously not an accident or a mistaken identity type of murder. He was met at the door of his home as he returned with his wife from a restaurant where they were celebrating their wedding anniversary. His wife and daughter were tied up and he was escorted to the family garage where his head was removed in a most violent way using a shotgun.

This is a difficult book to put down once you start.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 30 March 2010
I hadn't read this book before, unlike some of the other reviewers, and the title they previously read Final Account fortunately is not on the list of Inspector Bank's novels to be found in the paper backs I have, so I didn't make that mistake and be disappointed. I can imagine that it would spoil the enjoyment of the book as the denouement is nicely surprising.
I thought this one of Perter Robinson's better books with an exciting and well constructed story. I get a bit bored by his allusions to Bank's musical tastes and annoyed by the number of references to people smoking, but maybe I'm prejudiced as I do enjoy Donna Leon's frequent references to the food the Brunetti eats!
on 22 July 1998
Of all the British police procedural mysteries I've read, and I've read a bunch, Robinson's Inspector Banks books are my favorite. Mind you, there are others close in second and third place, but he's on top. Wonderful primary characters you can care about, fascinating plots, secondary characters who add realism and dimension to the story. Light touches of humor or humanity. I wish Robinson was as prolific as Francis.
on 9 January 2014
I love the Banks' novels and was ready to buy this one of a book I hadn't seen before. So glad I read the reviews, what an absolute con to publish this book under a different title without a warning. Shame on the publishers and Peter Robinson, if he is aware of it. I was warned but the poor people who bought the book with new title deserve an apology and reimbursement.
VINE VOICEon 17 June 2011
I just love the Inspector Banks series and whilst I have read then out of sequence this has not detracted at all from my pleasure. This was slightly different with a character with a double life and an involvement in money-laundering - not the run-of-the-mill for crime fiction. Banks's relationship with Sandra is starting to degenerate and we get a deeper understanding of the pressures on police officers and their marriages. There are a few scoffs at Banks's liberalism but that adds interest. My only difficulty was when Banks took on two men in a dark alley - and won. That scene felt unrealistic, despite Banks being in a state of high tension and energy after learning of the appalling attack on Pamela Jeffreys whom he had lusted after. With his smoking and drinking habits my image of him is not of someone so fit he can see off two men with such little difficulty. But never mind I love this series so bring on the next.
on 5 March 2014
Each book improves this writer's talents. Even though this is one that has been on TV as one of the DCI Banks programmes reading it was still enjoyable. Onto the next in the series now.
on 12 March 2014
Another good story with many twists and turns and would recommend it for anyone who likes a detective mystery. Very entertaining and difficult to put down.
on 27 March 2014
I've only recently discovered the Inspector Banks Mysteries, and am already 'hooked'. They keep you in suspense right to the end. A fascinating read.
on 10 July 2016
Spent £7.99 on a book I read years ago !! What a con !! It is ,in fact, dry bones that dream, only sorry I didn't read the reviews first !!
on 18 March 2014
Another great book from Peter Robinson. Its gripping right from the start and doesn't fail to satisfy - highly recommend.