on 25 June 2009
I started reading this series (10 books in total) to my daughter when she was about 6. They are a thoroughly good read and we both enjoyed the first few books. However as the series progresses and Princess Mia gets older, the themes become a little more adult. I found myself by about book 6/7 editing paragraphs whilst reading, and just as my daughter was happy to be reading alone, I found myself insisting that I read to her!! Needless to say I read the final few books to myself (they really are quite gripping!) and they are now sat on the shelf waiting for my daughter to grow a little older. - Maybe early teens.........
on 4 July 2001
This is a great book! It's about Mia Thermopolis, a normal, American, 14-year-old girl, who's main worry in life is the fact no one's ever asked her out and her mum is dating her algebra teacher. That is, until her dad tells her she's actually the Princess of Genovia! This causes lots of problems - she has to have a bodyguard with her, she loses her best friend, and she has to take "princess lessons" with her grandmother, who she loathes! The book is written in the form of Mia's journal, which also includes lists of things to do and algebra notes. This is a great book and I can't wait to get the sequel!
on 3 September 2001
When Mia finds out she's a princess she thinks it so unfair. Why does she have to be the girl with no dates, a mum who dates her algebra teacher and now she's a princess! Just when life can't get any worse..... it does. She and her best friend have a huge fight and aren't talking. Can things get any worse?.
This is such a great book any teenage girl should read it- it is so funny!
A massive thumbs up from all three girls in our house who have read this. My 12 year old, Mia, was actually named after protagonist of this book. My eldest daughter read this book aloud to my bump all through my pregnancy (and subsequent titles) and we fell in love with the name Mia. Now she is reading the books herself and loving them! Very poignant :
on 25 August 2015
From plain old Mia to Princess of Genovia, Meg Cabot writes her characters realistically and you feel part of her books. The story takes the reader on a journey of Mia's life from a girl to princess. Its a book thats read by any age me being 37 and I still enjoy reading the series, a book that you just can't put down until you've finished it, and then you have to find out what happens after and then your a couple of books in.
on 30 January 2014
I had always wanted to read this as a kid and never got around to it. Now I am 21 and I finally read it. It is probably best suited to teenagers, as the main character herself is that age, although still a good read for those big kids out there!

It follows a girl called Mia, who is quite happy in her usual boring life of school/home/friends/boys, allbeit a slightly more geeky existance than most. However her world is turned upside down when she discovers she is in fact a princess, and heir to the throne of Genovia. Chaos ensues when she refuses to believe it, and then when she does, she has to try and keep it a secret from everybody at school. It is a very good start to the series, for those who have seen the film version with Anne Hathaway and Julie Andrews, this book covers about the first 50% of the film.

It is sweet and funny and a good girlie read.
on 4 January 2015
I enjoyed the book ever much. But for once in my life I prefer the movie than the book. Now before you smack me silly the only reason probably is cause I have seen the PD movie before I read the book and the movie is part of my childhood. But I still enjoyed the book. Definitely worth 5 stars
on 22 December 2001
This is an updated traditional fairytale.
Meg Cabot is a great writer and I just couldn't put this down. The only thing is though, is how this is such a typically 'teenage' book. There's romance, she gets the boy she wants, there's a hiccup, then everything turns out fine and very slushy. Mia is a character that everyone can relate to as she has the problems we all have about looks and school- but this has all been done before. The saving grace for this book is Mia and how gripping it is. The plot is paper thin after she discovers she's a princess.
on 10 May 2002
The Princess Diaries, written by Meg Cabot,is a humouress novel based on the diaries of Mia Thermopolis.
One minute Mia is a totally normal girl in Manhatten, New York; next she is the heir to the throne of of Genovia and discovers her original name is 'Amelia Migonette Grimaldi thermopolis Renaldo'!
To make things worse her strict Grandmother has arrived in town with princess lessons for Mia on her schedule!
One of the most memorable parts of this book is the night of the Cultural Diversity Dance,but does Mia get a date?
on 12 November 2015
I don’t think anyone needs me to say what this book is about, right? I read this years ago when I was in high school and all the books after it in the series – I think there was 10 in total. And of course I’ve watched the film several times. I couldn’t wait to finish re-reading the book to re-watch the movie!

Firstly a big thank you to Pan Mac for approving me for this book on Netgalley. I requested it just about the time that I requested Meg’s latest book Royal Wedding (Princess Diaries for older readers) and it was a complete trip down memory lane reading it again.

There are so many things I love about this book. First of all Mia is just a normal girl. She has normal teenage worries about her looks, friends, homework, boys and fitting in in general. Although the book was first published in 2000, Mia had the same worries that a fourteen year old would have today although, admittedly, Mia didn’t need to worry about looking on point in her newest Instagram selfie.

I love the diary format of this book and think it especially works for younger reads. I tried to keep my own diary for little while when I was younger so I am sure lots of girls can relate to her. Mia has a sharp wit and is completely sarcastic. It’s easy to imagine yourself in her shoes through Meg’s writing.

I am so looking forward to Royal Wedding as a fan of the Princess Diaries series and also as a fan of Meg’s books for older readers!