Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 July 2017
This is the third in a series and builds on the characters from the first two books. It has good pace, reads very well and a nice twist in the ending. It is as good a police procedural novel as anything by J Kerley, CJ Box LJ Sellers, if you like those three authors you will enjoy this
on 17 April 2017
Excellent read. I am liking this series better as it goes on. The characters are well defined and the Amish connection makes it very different. Recommended.
on 15 July 2017
Great series..great book
on 16 March 2017
This is a gripping novel with twists and turns to keep you engrossed all the way through.
on 9 November 2012
Castillo just gets better. Well rounded characters and plots. Librarian suggested the author when I needed large print books. So took one to Crete and thoroughly enjoyed it so, it was Amazon to the rescue. Downloaded her next book on to my Asus tablet and read that.

Should also say thanks to Amazon/Asus without you guys I would be stuck for reading.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 11 December 2012
This is the third of this author's novels set among the Amish community. I enjoyed the other two but think that this is the best so far.

The suspense part of the story centres around the murder of a couple on an Amish farm, staged to look like an accident. There are various suspects and the children who remain have to make a new life, maybe away from the religious community in which they live. Chief of Police, Kate Burkholder, has already made that transition and she understands the Amish way of life whilst living as a non-religious American. Kate identifies with these children and especially the teenage daughter and is determined to find out what has happened, although it is not easy.

As now seems to be usual with suspense novels, the story concentrates on Kate as a person as well as a police officer. The book reunites her with John Tomasetti from the FBI, a man who is probably as emotionally wounded as she is. The parts of the book which bring the two together are the strongest and most powerful writing.

Fitting the two themes of the book together works well, as we see the effect on John and Kate's relationship of everything that happens and the secrets that they uncover. The shocking ending (although I had suspected it ... but then I read a lot of this type of book) is particularly well done and so too are the ramifications for the characters as many dirty secrets are uncovered.

This book is believable and well written (I am now used to this author's habit of writing in the present tense and it doesn't annoy me as much as it has in the past). I found the whole book gripping and was totally engaged. A really good read.
on 10 January 2015
This is the 3rd book in the Kate Burkholder series which is a police/thriller series based in an area with a large Amish community. Kate is formerly Amish but left the faith several years after a traumatic event when she was 14.

There are 2 crimes running in tandem in this book Hat crimes against the Amish and an accident/murder on an Amish farm.

Very gripping book with the main perp being a real suprise. Excellent. I also like the way the author explains the Amish faith throughout the books.
on 19 November 2013
Unfortunately this book is not as good as the others and has left me a bit cold, it's almost like she has run out of stories for Kate. The characters haven't developed from the previous book and we learn nothing new about any of the characters, the Amish or the location. The previous books had me up late and unable to put them down, this book was like trudging through snow but I ploughed on and finished! Not sure I will read the next one
on 2 June 2014
Due to lack of anything else to listen to, I'm on the second of this author's books. Just like the first I read, the plot can be written on a bus ticket. She has an incredibly repetitive style - in parody, 'X happens, I'm angry, I feel too much because I know the Amish way of life so well...' This type of sentence comes up twice a page - I'm not joking. I feel that the author's knowledge of the Amish is no better than mine; there's no richness of detail. All this would get this a 2, but her style means I'm happy to listen while I do the chores.

There are much better books out there. If you've got a lot of time to get through very little content, read this.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 5 December 2014
An Amish family (mother, father and brother) die in a manure pit leaving 4 children orphaned. It is treated as a tragic accident until the autopsy reveals it to be murder. At the same time there has been a spate of hate crimes against the Amish, begging the question of escalation. This is an extremely well plotted novel which kept me up late, wanting to know what was coming next. I didn't see the perpetrator coming and I certainly didn't see the final twist so great writing - I read crime fiction exclusively and it is getting harder to find books where I can't see what's coming. I still can't say after 3 books that I have warmed to the characters of Kate Burkholder and John Tomasetti as I think they have too many problems Ms Castillo is too fond of explaining to make them sympathetic but I welcome them appearing to mature a bit. My main complaints are the repetition of Amish values just pages apart - my main thought is "yes, you told us that 2 pages ago and I remember it" and it may just be the edition I read (Murder In Amish Country) but the daughter's name kept changing between Solome and Salome, incredibly annoying. Overall, however, I recommend this as a good read due to the clever plotting which definitely held my attention.