on 9 May 2017
After reading the Agent Cormac series, I went straight on to the Owner series. Whoops. I ignored the negative reviews, but shouldn't have. I no longer buy Asher's books. In many ways the series has a lot to recommend it, but unsubtly infusing the whole thing is a clumsy political agenda and anger/dismissal of opposing views.

I don't mind opposing or strange views, I relish them. That's one of the reasons why I read science fiction. Part of that though is the challenge of engaging with the ideas and thinking through the implications etc. Sadly, as interesting as the sci-fi elements are, the political elements are sigh-worthy. Earnest, yet difficult to believe, like being stuck on hold for an hour and having to listen to a pre-recorded voice tell you every 30 seconds that your call is important.

It kinda works as satire though, so you may enjoy it more if you think of it that way.
on 18 April 2015
I could hardly put this down. I can't recall the last time when a book felt like a thrill ride. From what I could figure, the events in the book take place over the space of a few days, but because so much is happening it seems like it's all within about an afternoon. The brutal dystopian regime on earth feels nastily plausible, and the actions of the main character are very gratifying. However, his struggle against it is very personal. He's no hero of any sort. His amoral quest for vengeance strikes a blow against the ruling elite, but it's coincidental. I very much enjoyed the fact that the central character here is not a hero at all. He isn't good, he isn't pleasant. There's little to make him sympathetic at all, but you do warm to him in a way, because whatever his motivations are they ultimately have positive outcomes. Kind of.

Imagine the best car chase you ever saw in a movie. For me, that was what this book equated to. I really enjoyed it, with my heart in my mouth for half the time.
on 12 June 2017
Pacier and more personal than many of the Polity novels, this is a real page-turner. The series is set in a world not too far on from our own and is a little more conventional than the Polity novels, but still has some visionary ideas, memorable bad guys, and a heart-pumping narrative. Brilliant.
on 13 March 2015
Love it, a visceral violent (but not needlessly so!) Well paced, the main protagonist is an interesting character. The story starts fast and only slows down near the end, which is not a negative. Looking forward to the next instalment!
on 17 August 2016
Neal, Neal Neal....not my favourite old bean!

But still very readable and you're still one of my favourite authors. Maybe book 2 will turn it around for me?
on 11 March 2017
Mr Asher is one of my favourite authors. Great characters, good science and a well told narrative. Not related to his polity novels but it's easy to see how this could have evolved from the owner series.
on 20 July 2017
good book
on 12 August 2014
First of Neal Asher's I've read and wow I was not disappointed. Great story, great plot, great great great. Awesome sci fi.
on 28 September 2013
Gripping story all the way through. Interesting science and a frightening vision of the future. Looking forward to Zero Point.
on 27 September 2013
It's hard to give a damn about any of the characters in this book as they are so one-dimensional. The plot, such as it is, seems to have been written with a view to selling the computer game rights later on: there is way too much description of the scenery and the action and too little plot and character development. Sorry but I may be removing subsequent volumes (yes, it's yet another trilogy!!!) from my wish list.