Customer reviews

VINE VOICEon 3 August 2007
This is the 3rd David Hosp novel and is a riveting read. The characters from his 1st novel "Dark Harbour" are back but that is where the similarity ends, as "Innocence" is fresh and different.

The first chapter sets the pace and from there the tension builds until the very end, with an excellent twist.

The story line centres around Vincente Salazar, who may or may not have been falsely sentenced to prison for an attack on a female police officer some 15 years ago. Scott Finn, a lawyer, with Tom Kozlowski a retired police officer, now detective, try to find out if he is innocent or not.

On the cover "Innocence" is described as a legal thriller, but I think it's more of an action legal thriller, written intelligently, with warm and believable characters but with a tension which will make you not want to put it down.
VINE VOICEon 15 June 2013
I am a little backwards with David Hosp's novels. I read his last novel 'Among Thieves' and found it so wonderful, I am now reading the rest of his books. 'Innocence' and 'Among Thieves' can be read on their own, and the story line is not lost, but it is wonderful to have a few insights from each.

David Hosp has invented the kind of character in Scott Finn that we all want for our lawyer. He is an intelligent, wiley, respectful detective. He has left a powerful law firm to go out on his own. A former police detective, Tom Kozlowski, is working with him. What we have here are two strong and silent men. An intern, Liisa has a foul mouth and talks alot to make up for the silence, I assume. One two many foul words, however, I believe she is strong, and I like her more without her motormouth. Finn is asked by a fellow lawyer from his old firm to assist on a case where all the evidence points to guilt of the convicted felon, Vincente Salazar. Finn is asked to become involved in a case sponsored by the New England Innocence Project. David Hosp has been involved with this group, and he is able to give us a great deal of information about fingerprints, their use and their uselessness because of that involvement. Finn and Kozlowski discuss a couple of finer points about the real value of evidence in this novel that give insight into the Innocence Project. Salazar has been in jail for fifteen years for the shooting and attempted rape of a young policewoman. As a result of the shooting she is paralyzed. Salazar and his family left San Salvador with the help of a Latino street gang, and Finn finally believes that Salazar may have been set up in this case. Neither the police nor the street gang want this case reopened and danger and mayhem proceed.

This story has the backing of a tried and true old plot of bad policing and the good guys, but it also has many twists and turns. I learned a great deal about fingerprinting I had not known, and the Innocence Project is indeed one of the better projects to help with those who are truly innocent. There is a fine thin line between guilt and innocence, and Finn shows it off to perfection.

Recommended. prisrob 06-14-13
on 24 September 2007
Scott Finn, an attorney, is confronted with the case of a man who was imprisoned 15 years ago for murdering a policewoman. Scott becomes convinced of the man's innocence and tries to see him released. He and his two assistants then carry out the legwork to see what avenues are available to them.

The three make an interesting team and the relationships add to the flavour of the story. Along the way though they are hindered or attacked and Salvadorian gangs as well as corrupt police are implicated.

But it all goes along in very predictable fashion. Hosp writes well, but the story never really peaks. There is little courtroom drama and certainly much less than I expected.

Perhaps I was looking for something a little more explosive to explain all, but that "something" didn't really emerge, despite a minor twist. Hosp has done enough for me, however, to make me search for his earlier works in the hope that he may have been more creative with them.
on 22 November 2011
Only discovered David Hosp fairly recently but have quickly devoured all of the Scott Finn series and his other books. They are an excellent read, he paints wonderful quirky characters that you look forward to meeting again and again. The plots are totally plausible with lots of twists and turns and the stories have plenty of depth.
on 7 February 2012
Engaging set of central characters who you can follow through from Scott Finn 1 onwards. Like a small and intriguing family who subtly change and mature from book to book. "Innocence" features a complex plot with all manner of twists, turns and reversals. Exciting semi-denoument towards the end but neatly eclipsed in the final pages. Although there's something of a comfort factor in retaining the main payers from book to book, David Hosp doesn't do soft. "Innocence" brings to life the tougher side of Boston and some well-researched unpleasant facts about its history. And there are times when the book seamlessly gives the reader serious pause for thought. Multi-faceted people, plot and background. Strong and convincing writing style. Not quite un-put-downable but good to get back to.
on 21 May 2010
this book kept me intrigued to the end and I am still considering what my conclusion were as to the ending. Well worth the read, however be aware it could keep you hooked that you do not want to put the book down until the end.
on 30 November 2012
Good read, real page turner with gritty and realistic characters. Fans of Scott Finn will not be disappointed. Comparable with John Grisham.
on 19 February 2013
Being a fan of John Grisham and the great Michael Connely, I had not read or even heard the name David Hosp. I picked this one up just browsing on my new Kindle fire and decided to give it a go. Am I pleased I did as I could not put it down and I will definitely be downloading more Scott Finn novels. Hospital is certainly up there as one of my authors to watch for.
on 21 December 2011
I bought this book for a friend's Xmas - I have already read the book and couldn't put it down - I know she likes murder mystery and thought this book enthralling and a good story - I hope she will like it as much as I did...I had never heard of this author before and have bought another of his books for myself from Amazon...
on 12 June 2013
I enjoyed this book it moved quickly and I believed the relationships between Finn and Koslowski and also how the plot ran - it was also fun,
the banter was believable and enjoyable!! Plus the women and children had decent roles which rang true - always a place where thrillers can fail or pass with me!!