on 30 June 2015
Frankly just unbelievable the notion that the criminal mastermind in this book could get away with this. Yet the story is clearly penned by a master and he makes it work.

Can't believe that Roy Grace has been banging on about his missing wife for four whole books, yet in this one we get so little. Not sure what (if anything) is planned for Sandy in book six, but it better be good.

This author is now begging to irritate me, yet he still commands my attention. Perhaps that is the craft, either way Its steady going forward, addicted and smitten by Peter James - how dare you sir.... !!!
on 2 April 2010
Don't get me wrong, I love Peter James. I snap up his novels as soon as they're available, and enjoy them all - even if they can be a bit 'same-y'. At least you know what you're getting.
But this one is much, much longer than all of the others. Great, I thought; more time for plot expansion and enjoyment of the character development. But oh dear, here's the rub - the first 350 pages are an utterly pointless dirge. Nothing happens. The plot crawls along so slowly that it's very difficult to foster any enthusiasm. One might call it 'utterly put-down-able'. I got the feeling he was trying to write a screenplay for a '4 hour TV special' rather than a novel. The ending is sadly predictable, with no twists at all.
Still, I'll read his next one, but please, Peter, try to get back to your roller-coaster best next time...
on 7 August 2015
My problem is that I am reading this excellent series in order, gradually working my way though them. I find I cannot remember which murder or series of murders happened in which book! For me, the 'bigger picture' of Glenn's marriage breakup, the ongoing mystery of Sandy and the developing love affair with Cleo are somehow more important than the individual 'episode' represented by an individual book. I definitely like them and I do think it is important to read the whole series in order.
on 15 August 2015
A three-pronged story knitting finally into one. A rather unecessaryly vivid sexual brutality observation which in keeping with the story would have been better hinted at rather than described. That apart an up-to-date storyvery believeable and possibly based on facts know to the author.
on 16 June 2014
Where do I start with this one. Yes it was long but I enjoyed reading it so much I did not realize! I learnt so much. PJ is a very exceptional storyteller and you can almost hear the German and Romanian 'voices' and accents in the dialogue. I was very naive about organ transplants before so I really appreciate the research he clearly does for his books. He has also managed to raise awareness of the shortage of liver/kidney and I hope this encourages more of us to carry donor cards. A sad, moving tale....along with Dead Simple and Dead Man's Footsteps this is one of my faves in the series.
on 12 September 2015
working my way through the PJ Roy grace series. This is a corker and I am stunned by the ONE STAR reviews. Thankfully and rightly so, there are many more 5 stars! I'm a big crime fan an PJ is amongst the best. You will not be disappointed with this one!
on 7 March 2010
I have read all of the Roy Grace series and this is the best yet ! A real page turner, extremely well researched and very realistic. I love the main characters and especailly the saga of Roy's missing wife Sandy. This book had me holding my breath in places........... can't wait for the next one.
on 1 April 2015
Brillant story very original and very well researched
I couldn't put this down a real page turner
The story was very realistic and sad and showed what length people will go to when they are desperate
Loved that cleo was back and the relationship is finally going somewhere l
on 11 February 2013
Some people will do anything for money and the horror in this detective thriller featuring the charismatic Roy Grace is that fiction meets reality in the murky world of organ transplantation.
While there are those that will be making big bucks from the trade, there are others who will do what they can to raise the money needed to save the life of a loved one.
Peter James takes his fifth book in the Roy Grace series from the murky seabed off the Sussex coast to eastern Europe in a frantic investigation to uncover those at the heart of the illegal operation.
Once again we have a mixture of psycho versus the good guys and this time a family caught up in the middle who will have to make a decision, will it be the wrong one for the right reason and will those in charge of the ring be caught in time.
All the plot segments are woven together in perfect harmony while the recurrent mystery of Roy Grace's missing wife continues.
A must for fans of psycho thriller detective dramas that has accuracy in police procedure second to none.
on 23 November 2014
I love Peter James books and know the area well so know how realistic the descriptions are. I recommend his books. As an aside: I was a little disappointed by the first stage dramatisation I went to recently - becasue it was not close enough to the book. I will be going to the next stage dramatisation of the next book when it comes close to see if it improves.....