Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 12 June 2017
I heard about this author on the radio, it was recommended (even if you knew nothing about surfing)! I found the story rather bleak in parts but very well written. Set in Australia it follows the early life and growing up of two friends living in a small town, who discover the joy of surfing through an older man they meet on the way to the beach. I particularly found the claustrophobia of living in their town and the antidote and freedom of surfing very well described. Very different from my usual read!
on 18 May 2017
Stunning writing. I'm off to read his others now.
on 14 July 2017
Gorgeous descriptions and compelling story.
The surfing descriptions make you want to head to the coast today. Sad but inspiring.
on 27 June 2017
If you're into surfing you will love this book. It wasn't for me, but it is very well written and has an emotional edge.
on 23 May 2017
Good story even though I'm not a surfer
on 8 June 2017
powerful writing
on 8 August 2017
Fabulous book by a great author.
on 8 February 2015
Tim Winton at his desolate, suffocating best!
This is a stupendously good book which I simply kept reading all day until I had finished it. I am reluctant to say it's about surfing teenage boys in case that puts anyone off. Or that it's a metaphor for finding a middle ground between adolescents dicing with death for the feeling of being truly alive, or being "overcome by ordinariness," where the locals in your puny home town look "cowed and weak;" but it's a bit of that too. The descriptions of the way the sea behaves and its power to terrify are so consuming, they must surely be autobiographical. This book was recommended to me so strongly by an Australian friend I bought it - two days before it was offered as a Vine review. Word is obviously getting around about this author - this is his 9th novel and I'll certainly be seeking out his others. Five stars are not enough, though I would reserve this extreme praise for the first part of the book before everyone`s lives start to unravel towards the end.
on 19 July 2017
If you like the surf or the ocean or just adventure this book is great