Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 April 2013
Been waiting a while to read this and finished it in 2 days flat. It was an easy read as the language had a good flow and used modern language for the market it's intended for but it didn't lack excitement or plot.

Loved the adage of Johns shipmates as they added some much needed depth to the couple as if it was just them it would have gotten stale quickly. Frank and Henry were my favorites and hoping to hear more from them.

John's background was a surprisingly good twist as it shows there's definitely more to him than a sexy Lord of the Underworld.
Pierce could be abit too damsel in distress for me at times as I thought being a teenager she might have rebelled abit more than she did.

The ending shows that more of Pierces family and friends become embroiled in her drama so it should make for a good sequel which I can't wait to read.
on 27 November 2011
A year ago, Pierce died. But because she was cold, after they warmed her up, they were able to revive her. During that time while she was dead, she met John. Then she left him when she came back to life. Ever since, John's been kind of following her. He turns up her school and something bad always seems to happen, John's here to take her back to the Underworld. But why? And what will happen to Pierce if she doesn't go?
I was drawn in by the summary saying it's are-telling of the story of Persephone and Hades. On that note, it didn't disappoint. Meg Cabot's views of the Underworld were interesting, with the queues, the two boats and so on.
John wasn't my favourite male lead of all time. Pierce was believable and easy to understand. Mr Smith, the cemetery keeper, I didn't like at first but found myself warming to him.
I really liked the fact that all chapters started with an excerpt from Dante's Inferno. It added a little extra something to the book. Exactly what I'm not sure, as Dante was describing a Christian Hell whilst this was based on the Greek Underworld, but anyway.
I had a problem with following all the events in Pierce's life chronologically. There's parts with her old school, parts with her new one, parts involving a perverted teacher, parts involving a cemetery and so on. But they were all mixed together and I found it hard to piece together Pierce's life story.
I also don't see the point of all the tassels.
Despite this, I enjoyed this retelling.

Overall: Strength 3 tea to a different, more romantic take, on one of my favourite Greek myths.
on 6 November 2011
Did you know that I love Meg Cabot? No? Well I do. The Mediator series was one of the first paranormal series I ever read and Jinx was my favorite book for so long. When I heard that Meg was taking a more serious approach to young adult paranormal and throwing in some mythology to boot, I was so excited.

The book is a take on the myth of Persephone and Hades, which is one of my favorite myths and hasn't really been explored that much until recently. With it's original take on the story and fantastic execution, Cabot hits the mark. She also excells in writing a compelling and interesting story while also adding little humorous afterthoughts and observations. Unfortunately, the protagonist in this book let me down a little, so I'll go into the main character first of all.

Pierce is one of those horrible heroines that I just couldn't like. I didn't hate the character at all, but I couldn't like her. What really got on my nerves was that she blamed everything on something else - she's grouchy, but it's her near death experiences fault, she almost drowned, but it's her Dad's fault for not being there (at fifteen, you don't need your Dad there to watch you every second of the day.) She has people telling her that she is 'selfless' and always tries to help everyone else, but she comes across as spoiled to me. I also can't see how she's anything special, why would the ruler of the underworld want to take her as his eternal companion. There is also her too stupid to function moment, when she puts herself in danger of being raped by a teacher, to prove that he is a rapist... Why not like, tell the police?

Thankfully, hottie John saves the book. He's deep and dark and haunted but I loved it. I just couldn't see how the romance worked, she was stuck in the underworld with him for all of five minutes then throws tea in his face and runs out, to me, that is not enough time to fall in love. The relationship was cuter towards the end but I did struggle to get my head around it.

The storyline picks this book up though - I loved the idea of Pierce's necklace, I loved the backing characters and I loved the take on the myth. Cabot's unique idea of Isla Huesos being the door to the underworld and the way that the underworld itself was written. I can't wait to hear more about the furies and have a bit more action, rather than just world building.

What I loved most of all was Cabot's writing. Gripping as ever, she manages to write a deep, dramatic story and still weave it with a certain level of wittiness, which grips even the most serious reader.

Overall, Abandon was unique and entertaining take on the myth of Persephone and Hades. I loved the storyline and the backing characters and as always, I adored Cabot's writing. Unfortunately the main character wasn't likeable. Still, it was a good read and I would recommend it.
on 20 July 2015
I read the previous book and enjoyed it so much that I had to get this one. Sadly this is the last one in this series but I shall look for other books by Meg Cabot. Well written enjoyable books with likeable characters.
on 26 December 2014
Absolutely amazing book! Love it and would totally recommend it to anyone that likes, romance, action and adventure!
Don't read this one before reading the first one!
#1 is equally as good, but reading it first will help you to understand the storyline of this one!
5 stars!
on 24 February 2012
This book was a christmas present from somebody who knew that Meg Cabot is one of my favourite authors, particularly for The Mediator series and the Airhead trilogy.
I was really excited to read this. At first, it was very dark, and it took me longer than usual to get into it, but I found it was a very gripping storyline and that it was written very well. Pierce is a very strange character, very quiet and mysterious, and her life is very unusual and very fascinating to read about, even if it is fiction. I really enjoyed this book.
The reason I give it 4/5 and not a full five stars is because I am rating not only the book, but the author as well, and I feel Meg Cabot has written better books by far than this one. But once the sequel is released in May this year (named Underworld) I may start to get more into the story and connect more with the characters, because this book would not be any good alone, it is really only the start for a series.
Overall, yes this book is definitely worth buying, especially if you like dark books with romance (some may disagree but while reading this I thought of Twilight) and I really hope you enjoy it!
on 15 June 2014
This met my expectations and was a good end to the trilogy. The only thing with these books is that I wish they were longer! I've been reading and loving Meg Cabot books since I was a pre-teen, and now I'm in my early twenties I find I get through her books within a day. I think I'll always love her writing style, I just hope in future she'll write longer stories!
on 27 September 2012
I enjoyed this book it was a nice easy read however there wasnt really alot to it. It felt like it was gearing up for something but nothing really happened.
If you have read the first you know that Pierce has been take to the underground by John. She finds out someone she loves is in trouble and tries to convince John to let her back to help.
I like the new characters that are introduced but would have liked to seen more of Kayla.
You get to find out more of Johns backstory which is interesting although not as dark as i had thought. I Still dont really feel like i know him as a character, if he talked more and controlled less then Pierce wouldnt have got into as much trouble!
Its worth a read especially if you have read the first. I will still be looking out for the third!
on 8 August 2014
abandon is probably one of the best books I 've so far, because its intense and makes you want to read on. what I didn't like was that some of the information of the characters were a bit unnecessary ,and how the author describe the place was quite long as well. I would recommend this for teenagers and adults.
on 22 November 2014
Christmas gift for my grandson he has wanted to have these books for a long time now so have purchased them for him he will be very pleased on christmas day I am sure. I would buy again as there was prompt delivery and packaging was good ......good buy.....