Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 January 2011
I had already watched the film, and really enjoyed this book. It provides more insight into the life of Chris McCandless, but also draws on the experiences of other explorers/travellers as well as some of the author's own experiences. Well written and very touching.
on 27 November 2014
I was disappointed in the slow delivery, but was pleased with the product when it arrived within it's delivery estimate. I was concerned that the quality might be lower than I expected, but I was pleasantly surprised. This will make a good Christmas present.
on 13 February 2015
I tend to get bored very easily of long books but this was detailed and magnificent. 100% recommend. I read this after watching the film if I'm honest as I just so happened to stumble across it. The story of Christopher McCandless really touched me.
on 22 September 2014
This is an interesting but rather confusing tale. I couldn't decide just who he was actually writing about - his own journey into the territory, in search of clues, or the theoretical actual tale of what happened to the prime character.
on 20 February 2016
Super documentary style book. It treats not just the facts but the probable motivation and mental state of Christopher as he drove himself on. Helps that the author did something similar with a less tragic outcome. Absorbing read.
on 4 July 2011
This book is about a young chap who runs around the USA for a few years, free as a bird, living hand to mouth. He gets a romantic idea about surviving alone in the Alaskan wilderness and heads north, whereupon he dies of starvation after a few months. Not interested in the debate about whether he was brave or a pillock. The book was quite well written though the author jumps around the time line rather too much for my liking. One minute he was moose food, the next he was hitchhiking somewhere. There were a few similar stories in the book about others who have stepped, unprepared into the wilderness, including the author himself. Overall it came across as an interesting story that the author had tried to string out into a book.
on 12 November 2014
I did enjoy this book though, at times, I found it difficult to follow the time switches. It's a poignant story of a young man "doing his own thing" and deliberately shrugging off all modern-day values. Worth a read.
on 18 December 2009
I read this book after seeing the film and found it is one of those books that I cannot forget. Very interesting and sad and
his conclusion after all his time in his chosen solitude,
is that happiness is sharing.
on 15 March 2016
A moving, compassionate account of one man's visionary quest.. I think it will - probably already has - inspire many who feel the 'pull' of a solitary quest, but who, for one reason or another, haven't yet set out.
on 22 July 2016
I don't know how I came to buy this book, it's totally different from my usual read, I have been putting it off for months, I opened it just to get the feel of it and just could not put it down, a really good read,