Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Tokio Myers Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

The Miracle of Grace
Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 6 August 2008
There does seem to be lots of novels around 'mother/daughter relationships' around at the moment, but I think this one stands out amongst them.

The Miracle of Grace is very well written, it is funny and poignant but not sentimental or overly sweet. The characters of both Grace and Eileen are so well drawn, all of their faults are documented but they are so well rounded that you cant help but love them both.

What follows after Grace discovers the list that Eileen has made is a beautiful portrait of Eileen's life, growing up in 1950s Ireland, falling pregnant, marrying a violent and abusive man, and subsequently becoming a single parent.

Eileen looks back over her life and re-assesses what she has left and what she wants to do with it.

The relationship between mother and daughter is often difficult, Grace is often annoyed and irritated by Eileen and then struggles with her guilty feelings.

Although very sad, the novel is kind of uplifting and very satisfying.
on 16 April 2009
This book grabbed me at the first page and as I read on I felt like I was getting to know the characters intimately, I liked them both very much and I didn't want it to end.

For me, Kate portrayed the true nature of a mother/daughter relationship, or at least one that I identify with very much... "I love you but you annoy the hell out of me!" And I felt that there was a deeper message about learning to love and accept my Mum just the way she is, despite her funny ways.

I'm going to pass this onto my Mum now so she can enjoy it too.
on 1 June 2009
This is the story of a relationship between mother and daughter. We know from the prologue that the mother, Eileen, is dying. Despite this, the writing is not overly sentimental. The book gives a very good insight into the feelings and characters of Eileen and her daughter, Grace, and the past experiences which have influenced their behaviour and helped to make them what they are. I thoroughly enjoyed Kate Kerrigan's book: it was easy to read, sometimes humorous and, most importantly for me, I could identify with the characters.
VINE VOICEon 30 December 2008
The back cover of this book screams praise for its predecessor, Recipes for a Perfect Marriage. I haven't read this, but based on how much I enjoyed The Miracle of Grace - it's going on my To Be Read list!

The strapline of this book is "How do you tell your daughter one of the saddest things she'll ever hear?" It's clear that this is actually about two things: 1. Eileen can't tell her daughter Grace that she has terminal cancer, or 2. That as a young unmarried woman, Eileen became pregnant and had to give a child up for adoption.

Grace discovers her mother's illness by reading one of her many lists left lying on the kitchen table. What hurts Grace the most though, is the fact that breaking the news is number eight on her mother's list, underneath such things as returning a borrowed blouse and taking out the bins!

On confronting her mother, Grace realises that they have to face up to their troubled relationship, as well as Eileen's illness. Parties are planned, new hairstyles are created, and Grace discovers that she isn't in fact an only child, as she always believed.

The heart-rending story is told from the alternate points of view of Grace and Eileen. We learn about Eileen's childhood and how she came to be in London; and how Grace became a married woman whose hippy husband lives in Australia.

The Miracle of Grace is a very warm and humbling tale. It will make you laugh, and also have a bit of a cry too. Ultimately, if you enjoy chick-lit, you'll love Kate Kerrigan's beautifully written second novel.
on 3 July 2011
This is a heartwarming book, and thoroughly enjoyable. Whilst I personally prefered "Recipies for a Perfect Marriage" for its leassons about our expectations of love (which sadly is not available as an ebook currently), "Miracle of Grace" also has its important messages about our relationships. Not to be missed.
on 22 July 2008
I started to read this book and i could not put it down, just like the last one its addictive. I loved the way the book is written from both eileen and grace views. Must buy read for going on holiday!
on 24 October 2015
"Miracle of Grace" is a moving, engaging, sad, uplifting and all round good story - unputdownable until I had finished it in the early hours of the morning! As an adoptee I found that Kate Kerrigan's insight into the mind of a birth mother matched so much of the things my own birth mother told me. My own adoption journey hasn't ended yet and I can only hope that my siblings will react to me the way Grace's brother did. Apart from the adoption story, Kate captured perfectly the essence of a mother/daughter relationship with all its ups and downs. All in all, I loved it!
on 30 July 2008
The Miracle of Grace

I really enjoyed this book and read it in one sitting. In fact I have since bought it for my mother and sisters. It is about one of the most important relationships we are likely to have and one we tend to take for granted. It is sad but also funny and very readable.
on 1 March 2008
This is the first time I have felt compelled to write a review, but this is one of the best books I have ever read, I finished it in 1 day. I really got involved with the characters who were very believable. The story line is fantastic and the flow of the book is just great. This is the second book I have read by Kate Kerrigan and cannot wait for her to bring out another one.
on 11 December 2014
I loved this book. It grabbed from the beginning and kept me engrossed till the end. So human. And touching. Highly recommended.