Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 February 2007
I read this book about a year ago after reading the reviews on here and various other places. This book did not dissapoint me! i love the whole image you get imprinted in your mind of this bright n breezy euphoric countryside setting. You really get sucked into Mike and Midge's thoughts and feelings and put yourself in their shoes. This book is a delight to read and is the kind of horror i like, a sort of sinister feeling throughout. I loved this book so much i gave it to my girlfriend to read, and like me she fell in love with it to. After reading i thought how good this book would make as a film (done well)! I suppose i just want to see if the images i have in my head of Mike, midge, the cottage and countryside are acurate, but there is no way to find out! a Wonderful uneasy read!!
on 7 April 2013
Midge and Mike buy "a desirable 2 bedroom cottage with half an acre of land" or "Gramarye" (from the Old French for magic, necromancy, or occult learning) as it is described by the estate agent. They are both self-employed and it is their ideal place to get away from the hustle of urban life. The cottage is truly magical and seems to have restorative properties. But the other side of the woods behind the cottage there is a religious cult who are taking an interest in Gramarye and its new occupants. It soon becomes apparent that there are darker forces at work. This is a great story by James Herbert and I read it with enthusiasm. It's descriptions are vivid and I was soon caught up in the adventure that these two find themselves in the middle of.
on 17 July 2017
Thought I was going to really enjoy this. Then found it was a bit of a let down and made me think what on earth am I reading? I don't like to only read half a book, so pushed through to the end and it didn't really get any better for me. I usually love James Herbert but I wasn't really impressed, more amused with this.
on 13 June 2017
I love most of James Herbert's books but the Magic Cottage is one of his best. I absolutely love the brilliantly written first person narrative. The ending, for me at least, bitter sweet.
One of my favourite works of fiction by one of my favourite authors.
Dark and delightful, but never excessively gory.
I read this back in the late 80's and it stayed with me.

Well worth a read.
on 25 March 2017
this book was a brilliant work of art, its interesting to have a story that is in the perspective of the main characters.
would recommend all of Herberts works to everyone.
on 16 June 2017
If you love a thriller this is definately one to read, had me on the edge of my seat at times.
on 26 February 2015
A wondefull book a marvellous writer james herbert superb diction there is magic in the world you will find it if you look hard enough but look out for the nasty people and Robert Powell excellent voice a superb book to read as well
on 10 June 2017
not read it yet but love james Herbert books
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 19 December 2013
I like James Herbert's books in general, but found this one somehow magical. Beautiful and enchanting passages throughout the book.