on 14 January 2018
Given the first book dates back to 1975,this series is as much of a classic as the inspector's cherished jaguar.I like this edition for its use of pastel colours,large illustration on the front cover and volume number on the spine.A series to be collected,enjoyed and revisited at intervals; much as Morse might reread a Dickens novel at Christmas.
on 20 January 2013
This is Colin Dexter at his best. Morse is on leave in Lyme Regis when verses appear in the Times about the disappearance of the "Swedish Maiden". This results in a whole host of letters from Times readers which Morse reads avidly. Morse is persuaded to return to Oxford to take charge of the year old case and what follows is a brilliant and insightful investigation and solving of the case.

Read this - you won't find any other crime fiction novel which will beat this one!
on 15 August 2017
Again brilliant book by Colin Dexter. I have to say enjoyed every one so far. Look forward to reading the next book
on 12 December 2016
I can't comment on this book as it is a gift however I am very disappointed with the size as its pocket book size and the writing is tiny.. had this had been stated I never would have bought it...not happy at all!!
on 1 April 2018
Good.
on 5 January 2017
Another Great Read from Colin Dexter
on 18 November 2016
Lovely book, just a bit on the small side, should be a good read
on 3 January 2013
I chose a four star rating because I could not put the book down! The story unfolded gradually , but the pace of the unfolding was dramatic and compelling. Dexter's ' red herrings ' are so plausible. It's like reading three or four stories in one! I did noy enjoy the TV series at all. Quite frankly, I couldn't understand them!! But the books are totally different and I shall read each with eager anticipation. I have bought all fourteen Morse Mysteries--can't wait!
on 5 May 2013
This is a particulary good Morse novel. As usual, Dexter sprinkles the text with obscure words! The dictionary is very useful here!
The novel is quite similar to the TV episode of the same name, unlike some of the novels.
on 3 December 2017