Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 May 2013
Fast delivery, excellent price, good condition all as hoped. Great book, although like the rest of Brett Easton Ellis' work very much to a taste.
on 27 October 2012
The book was fantastic. Great narrative, characters and plot. Thoroughly entertaining and i would recommend this to anyone. Well worth the price.
on 5 February 2015
Bret Easton Ellis is insane. This book is wild. Not a read for the easily influenced or the faint-hearted. Absolutely not a book for a child.
on 9 August 2012
Brilliant in every way. The characters are dark and unsympathetic in many ways yet also easy to identify with. This book is a modern classic
on 3 February 1999
So we all know 'American Psycho' is shocking, that he wrote 'Less Than Zero' at the tender age of 20, and that he's got a new book out (which is rather good by the way). However, this book is often over looked for some reason. 'The Rules of Attraction' follows the lives of a number of college students and their daily goings on - which seem to consist of premiscuous sex, drug taking and (like all of Ellis's book) boredom. The entries are in almost diary form, and thus the book is surprisingly easy to read. It has been critisisized for being pretensious: this only seems to be down to two chapters. One is in entirely in French, one is merely a blank page. For me, however, these just add to the cornucopia of bizarre and malignant lives the characters leads. There is no plot to speak of, and the pleasure really comes from being able to snoop into these people's lives. If you're a gossip and/or at or about to go to university read this book. You'll love it. O.K. I admit this is not Charles Dickens, but who wants to read about a bunch of people riding around in carts and the like. This book isn't 'American Psycho' either (gross out fans will be disappointed). However, if you like Ellis's style of writing I recommend this book. If you've only got a few minutes a day to read I also recommend this. Forget Bridget Jones' diary, try the messed up lives of a bunch of rich American college students. Joyous!
on 22 June 2014
Not as good as American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
, but I enjoyed reading this. Quick and easy reading.
on 23 October 2003
Since I heard the film was coming out and I knew I was going to end up seeing it, I decided to buy the book first. I read it the first time in two chunks, one twenty minutes in a break between classes and the second, during an afternoon that should've been spent doing coursework. I couldn't wait to find out what happened next in the book and I finished it that afternoon leaving myself dazed- highly affected by the story, but felt I had read it too fast so a week later I began again. I've nearly finished reading it for the fourth time now, in a row- I've never had the urge to reread a book before.
The way the story is told, with multiple narrators, really brings out the idea: 'if A likes B, B will like C and not A, and C will like D and not B, etc' and helps to make the novel a more rounded description of the characters' lives and interaction.
I deeply recommend this book and can't wait to see how the film deals with the storyline. Enjoy!
on 2 May 2001
After the amazing success of Ellis after writing Less than Zero (everyone loves young authors!) and before the negative propaganda of American Psycho (which can arguably be said to have sold itself), we find Ellis' The Rules of Attraction. It is classic B.E.E work, in the sense that the characters act in that "New England College" kind of way. No one is unruffled or perfect, but we (they) all hide a lifestyle that is far from perfect. I am not shocked by what is written, but it is entertaining. If you have read glamourama, I thoruoghly recommend this book....although it does come before Glamourama, it will make you feel more "inside" Ellis' world and you will get to know his characters so much better. Thouroghly recommended if you feel you could very well be part of this askew universe so very well crafted inside Brett Easton Ellis' head.
on 13 October 2015
very good author, interesting book, i can recommend
on 27 July 2015