TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 4 August 2014
I ordered this for our 6 year old who has been having the famous five books for bedtime and loving them. I had forgotten what a truly excellent series this is, and this story in particular. However it is maybe more suitable for 7 to 8 year olds so I am saving it for now and carrying on with the famous five books with him. My copy arrived quite quickly but I was disappointed that the cover is not as shown - it is a more modern cover with more modern children on it - some may prefer this, but I wanted the cover shown, which is a drawing of children rather than a photograph of what appear to be teenagers - my little boy would not relate to that cover as much as the drawing of children.
on 3 February 2015
Great series of Enid Blyton with a little bit of adventure but not too scary - my 9 year old as well as my 6 year old love it. The series actually encourages my kids to have more "adventures" outdoors as the 4 kids in the series enjoy hiking and so on.
on 6 September 2015
Bought this for my grandson aged 7. A little dated, but as I remember it through the somewhat blurred prism of time. Despite this inevitable feeling of a different era, it has a few universal truths that are often missing from more contemporary and I might say violent works. This book feels so innocent now, but in a good way that enhances childhood rather than creates a fear of the unknown and mistrust of everything. It is an adventure in the true sense of the word, building tension and excitement without resorting to the crude devices that rely on mayhem and destruction to achieve their ends. Dear old Enid knew her stuff!

My grandson read it in a day, so it looks as if I will have to get the other seven in the series to keep him occupied for at least a week! Recommended for those aged relatives who remember what it was like to be a child in a gentler world than the one we currently have.
on 13 August 2017
I haven't read an Enid Blyton book for decades and I'm probably far too old to be reading one now. But maybe there's a child in most of us who never grows up. A trip down memory lane this weekend has been really good fun.
on 31 May 2015
Great story I read all Enid Blyton books starting with Noddy Famous Five Secret Seven Ring o Bells Mystery And All The Adventure Books my children are enjoying them as I did. The Island Of Adventure is particularly exciting we recommend it!.
on 18 March 2015
Not read this for 50 years. Still as good as I remember
on 29 July 2017
A great book. I have been reading it to my 5 year old daughter to help send her to sleep. Probably a bit too advanced for a 5 year though.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 April 2015
I loved this book as a child, and had an urge to pick it up again 20 years later. If anything, the reading has improved with years. Enid Blyton's writings are timeless.
on 9 May 2015
Bought it for my 10 year old grandson and he was very pleased. I read it at about that age and I still have my copy.
on 2 September 2016
Bought for 7 year old's birthday. He'll be able to read it himself and the opening page will 'hook' him in as will the idea of 'adventure'.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse