Shop Women's Shop Men's Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 January 2012
I read this as someone who had never read any of the other Halo Books, although I have played the first Halo game. Whilst it may be a bit slow and technical at the start, this is a good scene setting book, and once the technical stuff is out of the way, turns into a really good story that I found difficult to put down. I am now looking forward to reading the other books in the series.
on 29 March 2009
Contact Harvest is a prequel book mainly following Johnson at the planet Harvest as well as a grunt who is picked up by a Brute's ship (and good friends with an Engineer), Tartarus and a Prophet.

The choice of Johnson is apparently because he is a fan favourite but to me it just seemed to be stretching him too far, the book really does nothing for him either just painting him as a typical soldier and little more. Given some of the hints he's been involved with the first generation Spartan program there is certainly is a lot of potential to dig up some interesting storylines for him but it's avoided almost entirely. We get some hints at top secret missions he's been involved in but little else. If Contact Harvest contained only the human side I'd be rating this lower as I found most of it quite bland and of little interest.

The Covenant side by contrast is considerably more revealing as at this point in time the Brutes haven't been long part of the Covenant and clearly made to feel inferior by the Elites. The grunt/engineer partnership also reveals a bit more about the engineers and the author brings up some serious revelations while following a prophet on a power trip.

At the end of the book I couldn't really care less about the human part aside from some of the portions about the AI's (which was too brief) but wishing there'd been a lot more on the Covenant side - the author brings up some fairly startling points yet due to having to share the book the author has to quickly skip over these or just briefly deal with them. I'd have really liked if this book had been written entirely from Covenant point of view just as Fall of Reach is written from the human point of view as I think there's a lot more interesting material to work with there.

In the end, not a bad book but I didn't think it really matched up to the Fall of Reach

(yes, I do realise I'm using all the 'wrong' names for the Covenant species but thought it would make the review easier to read for those who haven't read the other books for a while)
on 12 April 2013
Provides good background to the story, spearheaded by the awesomeness that is Sergeant Avery Johnson Junior, but essentially tells you nothing knew - the war began on Harvest and Johnson was there. Seems fairly redundent to have a book on that particular encounter - nonetheless, the book is an enjoyable read.
on 1 March 2013
I've made my way through all the books to this and I do believe the author is looking to give more depth to characters and it is where it all started. Yet I'm finding it difficult to reconnect, I will stick with it as I know the forerunner books are well spoken off so hopefully it changes.
on 2 April 2013
This book is amazing for anyone who knows the game or books or is interested in the Halo storyline. It really gets into depth will the characters personality and the feel that you are really part of the Halo universe.
on 24 December 2012
I love the Halo Universe and this is the first book I have read. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Would definitely recommend it to any Halo fan or someone who likes sci-fi. Just about to start Fall of Reach.
on 18 July 2014
wonderful novel for any lover of the halo series as it really used the less major characters such as Tararus and Johnson from halo 2, really fills in the hole of how the whole of Halo started.
on 28 October 2014
The first meeting with the Covenant finally revealed. Characters we are familiar with are in it like Johnson and tartus, even Jenkins is there. Very good book
on 26 April 2014
Oh yehhh halo yehhh. Reading about Sargent Johnson was really interesting as I'm a big fan of his character and the book didn't disappoint either.
on 7 December 2012
i liked this book because you see a different part of the halo universe. this is where is all began so it was nice to know how the story began